Delta Propel Pilot Career Path

I’m just curious why there is an apparent need for this when there are still thousands of experienced candidates that would love to have an interview at Delta.

This is about maintaining a supply of CFI's just as much as it is for hiring pilots at mainline. This is just one further extension of the Comair Academy model from the late 90's. It takes it a step further by extending the path all the way to mainline. It ensures that the supply chain of pilots remains intact.

There was a thread at the end of last year regarding the survey about this. I guess the response was positive. I am curious about the criteria for acceptance into the program.

Delta Air Lines Selects FlightSafety to Provide Training for the Delta Propel Pilot Career Path Program - FlightSafety International Media Center
. They owned a perfectly good flight school that would have come in handy right about now! Criteria is basically the same criteria as current applicants, of course those criteria will be checked off as they progress through the program. They need to be in good standing in their present roles in the company as well. Each pilot candidate will get a Delta Pilot mentor who will mentor them during the whole process.

I’m just curious why there is an apparent need for this when there are still thousands of experienced candidates that would love to have an interview at Delta.

It’s actually a path for current employees to transfer to Flight Ops as pilots. This will, by no means, provide a large number of bodies to the regionals, but opens a door for employees to further their careers. If it was meant to feed the regionals, they’d have to force every last employee to be a pilot.

. They owned a perfectly good flight school that would have come in handy right about now! Criteria is basically the same criteria as current applicants, of course those criteria will be checked off as they progress through the program. They need to be in good standing in their present roles in the company as well. Each pilot candidate will get a Delta Pilot mentor who will mentor them during the whole process.
But what are the requirements to be accepted in the first place? For example, how long does one have to be employed to be eligible to apply?

It’s actually a path for current employees to transfer to Flight Ops as pilots. This will, by no means, provide a large number of bodies to the regionals, but opens a door for employees to further their careers. If it was meant to feed the regionals, they’d have to force every last employee to be a pilot.

That does make sense. Thank you.

But what are the requirements to be accepted in the first place? For example, how long does one have to be employed to be eligible to apply?
As of now those minimum requirements are internal to the company at this time, so I can't post the details. They are only going to pick 15 employee candidates this year and will open up to more employees next year.

Delta Propel Program

Here’s what they’ve released so far.

As of now those minimum requirements are internal to the company at this time, so I can't post the details. They are only going to pick 15 employee candidates this year and will open up to more employees next year.

Actually, they released the info. It’s accessible from the press release above.

Company Pilot Career Path

There are further requirements that you must log on to DeltaNet to see. Those cannot be posted publicly.

Last edited:

Did you not read the press release at all? The program for current employees is only part of the Propel program. It's basically a cadet program for universities the way other airlines are doing.

It makes sense from Delta's standpoint but it is definitely going to cause drama at certain regionals if new hires start showing up who already have a CJO at mainline, flying with people who have been 121 captains for years and not gotten a call.

This is looking years in advance.

A friend said @ClarkGriswold is into something. It will be years before this program places it’s first applicant in a room off Virginia Ave to tell a bunch of people the last 4 of their Social. In the mean time, all of those current regional pilots who are already qualified will have the chance to interview.

P.s. my friend made sure the emphasize one point. It is not and never will be a flow. Propel candidates will complete the full interview, just over years vs two days.

It's basically a cadet program for universities the way other airlines are doing.

Eh kinda, but not really. Does a cadet program let you go fly in the National Guard?

This is all about playing a 5-10 year hand, not next week ( or next year)

Seems a lot more complicated to me than just creating flows. Methinks American has the smarter idea, but the Delta ego would never allow for it.

Umm do the Texas Rangers let the Frisco RoughRiders or Spokane Indians pick their star players? Nope. The scouts for the Rangers pick and draft players and then place them at the minor league teams. With how regionals are staffing, seems like a great way to lose control of your culture. (Ps yes bringing all the flying in house would be great, and while a certain French Canadian jet will help, let’s not pretend the “don’t farm out flying” boat didn’t sail decades ago...)

Umm do the Texas Rangers let the Frisco RoughRiders or Spokane Indians pick their star players? Nope. The scouts for the Rangers pick and draft players and then place them at the minor league teams. With how regionals are staffing, seems like a great way to lose control of your culture. (Ps yes bringing all the flying in house would be great, and while a certain French Canadian jet will help, let’s not pretend the “don’t farm out flying” boat didn’t sail decades ago...)

Your argument might not be so laughable if those “Spokane Indians” weren’t already flying Delta passengers in airplanes painted in Delta colors on tickets with the DL code.

Your argument might not be so laughable if those “Spokane Indians” weren’t already flying Delta passengers in airplanes painted in Delta colors on tickets with the DL code.

Oh the “I already fly airplanes with an airlines name + Con/xpres/agle on the side, where’s my job?” argument. Yay.

I flew with plenty who had that viewpoint, who ironically enough are still there. You can laugh at the argument all you want but at the end of the day, one can choose to make decisions to try to change their situation, or decide to maintain the status quo. But one carrier has made it clear how they feel about flows from regional carriers, and for that to change, would take several layers of managment culture to disappear overnight, which is beyond unlikely.

Don’t mistake my intentions. I want every pilot to reach their dream job. This community was started to share information and network towards that goal. I’ve just seen the impact that hiring standards can have, and when it comes to having to deal with an employee for 30+ years, “Hey we just got this contract for 30 airplanes with XX carrier in 3
Months and we need to staff it right now with whoever is available” isn’t a paradigm that I want involved in a 30 year career position. Don’t tell me this isn’t happening in the regional world.

Like I also said, the “let’s farm our flying” ship sailed long ago, and has been debated ad nauseum here. I’m not trying to start that over. I’m merely stating that while flows seem to be the answer some management groups are taking, the vast majority are still still retaining some control.

Don’t mistake my intentions. I want every pilot to reach their dream job. This community was started to share information and network towards that goal.

That's why people get edgy when the major they've always wanted to work for introduces a new program that fast-tracks college students and seems to leave them out. The details aren't out yet but that is how Delta itself is selling the Propel program.

That's why people get edgy when the major they've always wanted to work for introduces a new program that fast-tracks college students and seems to leave them out. The details aren't out yet but that is how Delta itself is selling the Propel program.
Anyone that is currently at a regional or starting soon could be there faster than this program. This doesn’t harm you at all unless you let it.

Anyone that is currently at a regional or starting soon could be there faster than this program. This doesn’t harm you at all unless you let it.

Yeah, it sounds like regional guys wanting to pull up the ladder on guys who don’t even have more than a private.

Back