New Boeing Airliner Decision Coming in 2019

They make their decision next year on a completely new airplane. They need a solid 757 replacement and not another widebody.

Boeing Mulls Its First New Airliner Since Dreamliner

They’ve basically decided that due to congestion, the 757 replacement needs to be a widebody. Just a very efficient widebody. I wouldn’t expect another narrowbody from them for a very long time, when they’re ready to finally put the 737 to rest.

One false move and you could change the course of the company forever. Look at MD, Lockheed L1011. Billions would need to be spent. You can’t make this big of a mistake, slow and steady as she goes

Boeing has historically bet the entire company on the success of an airplane. The 707 was developed at a cost of $185 million when the company was only worth $146 million and Boeing was 20 years removed from their last successful civilian aircraft. The debt taken on from the 747's development nearly ended the company financially. I would imagine Boeing wants to put make a big impact with their next airliner which will be a nice change from recycling 50 year old designs. They are going to take this slow but I am betting they are going to spend near record breaking money on development.

put the 737 to rest.
8F00211E-926B-473B-ACB8-A85CD442554D.gif

Boeing has historically bet the entire company on the success of an airplane. The 707 was developed at a cost of $185 million when the company was only worth $146 million and Boeing was 20 years removed from their last successful civilian aircraft. The debt taken on from the 747's development nearly ended the company financially. I would imagine Boeing wants to put make a big impact with their next airliner which will be a nice change from recycling 50 year old designs. They are going to take this slow but I am betting they are going to spend near record breaking money on development.

I really doubt “record breaking” is going to also be “more than the market cap of the entire company” this time. Boeing is much, much bigger and unlike the 707, 747, and 787 we’re already more than a decade into this airliner generation’s technological innovations, and at the same time Boeing is a much, much larger company than they were when they rolled out the 707 and 747- the 787 program was expensive to be sure but not “break the company” expensive like their earlier innovations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It almost doesn't matter what Boeing does at this point. All Airbus has to do is re-wing the A321 and they've got a 5,000 mile, 200 seat aircraft. 236 seats if you hate yourself and book on a ULCC.

They'll be 5-7 years ahead of Boring without trying.

It almost doesn't matter what Boeing does at this point. All Airbus has to do is re-wing the A321 and they've got a 5,000 mile, 200 seat aircraft. 236 seats if you hate yourself and book on a ULCC.

Re-wing it and lighten up the airframe and yeah. Why didn’t they do that with the NEOs? Or did they lighten the airframe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I mean, I’m sure that the money men and engineers at Boeing know a little more about all this than a bunch of pilots whose main concern is “zomg, tray table!!!111”

In order to get that kind of range, from the plane, it will take more than a re-wing. They're going to be putting more auxiliary fuel tanks on this proposed 797 fighter. At the heavy cost to cargo space. That if anything its where the 797 will be more competitive as a clean-sheet design.

One false move and you could change the course of the company forever. Look at MD, Lockheed L1011. Billions would need to be spent. You can’t make this big of a mistake, slow and steady as she goes

The 787, in the beginning, was a financial nightmare for Boeing. But that colossal failure didn't sink them. The 787 is now a sales leader for Boeing, but they claim that they either won't be able to make a profit on the plane, or will just break even. Or they will make a much smaller profit overall on the plane than originally desired, over the life of the plane. Due to all its shortcomings at the beginning of the program.

The 787, in the beginning, was a financial nightmare for Boeing. But that colossal failure didn't sink them. The 787 is now a sales leader for Boeing, but they claim that they either won't be able to make a profit on the plane, or will just break even. Or they will make a much smaller profit overall on the plane than originally desired, over the life of the plane. Due to all its shortcomings at the beginning of the program.

And yet the requests keep rolling in! I'm Casey Kasem...

And this is Murican Bandstand! This one goes out to Derg, in Arizona...keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars!

PS. Lol at "Boeing poised to make announcement regarding announcement of possible timing of future announcement of potential new airliner. Maybe."

Back