For those still searching for their first dispatch job after 1 year...

LX015

How long did it take you? How much did you forget from class over that period? Did you find it difficult to keep up when you started training? It's getting a bit frustrating for me after so long with out any success.

Any ideas or suggestions you'd be willing to offer?

Thanks in advance.

I misread when I initially responded. No issues personally but I studied every week to keep myself current. It all came back after a couple weeks on the floor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is there a local airport where you can find a 135 shop and ask to intern on your off time? This might help you keep up on your foundational knowledge while you continue to look for work. It could also lead to professional recommendations and/or leads to possible job openings. It's a small industry where folks know folks who know folks. Find a way to build your professional network.

And what harunaka10 said: make sure the invites aren't coming because of your resmume.
Plenty of resources out there to help you study a little bit each day, in order to keep your knowledge base at the forefront of your mind.

Hang in there!

I'm close to TEB, MMU & EWR. I guess I'll look into the interning thing, but I don't really have too much off time with my current 9-5. I'm hanging in, but like I said, It's frustrating...

I'm close to TEB, MMU & EWR. I guess I'll look into the interning thing, but I don't really have too much off time with my current 9-5. I'm hanging in, but like I said, It's frustrating...
Those are AMAZINGLY BUSY airports lol. I'm sure any GA shop would absolutely LOVE to have you there as an intern, even if it was just a few hours a week.
TEB, especially, should have a GA shop on site.

How long did it take you? How much did you forget from class over that period? Did you find it difficult to keep up when you started training? It's getting a bit frustrating for me after so long with out any success.

Thanks in advance.

Are you willing to relocate? Have you been applying to every opening? Are you getting interviews? If not, have someone critique your resume. If you’re getting interviews but no offers, practice your interviewing skills.

Are you willing to relocate? Have you been applying to every opening? Are you getting interviews? If not, have someone critique your resume. If you’re getting interviews but no offers, practice your interviewing skills.
How often should you apply to the same place? If you reply to airline X's posting Everytime they post, when is too many times?

PSA and Air Wisconsin are both posted right now. PSA is a revolving door but will get your DX stamp on your resume...Air Wisconsin might help pay for your relocation, I know they used to.

I do apply to pretty much all I see, all across the country. I mostly get TBNT responses. Never expected it to be so difficult.

I do apply to pretty much all I see, all across the country. I mostly get TBNT responses. Never expected it to be so difficult.
I struggled getting interviews and getting job offers after interviews as well. I picked up a copy of "knock 'em dead" by Martin Yates. Excellent read for any job applicant. Turned my resume and interviewing ability around. Got an offer on the spot at my next interview. By far the best $29 investment you could make.

I struggled getting interviews and getting job offers after interviews as well. I picked up a copy of "knock 'em dead" by Martin Yates. Excellent read for any job applicant. Turned my resume and interviewing ability around. Got an offer on the spot at my next interview. By far the best $29 investment you could make.

I'll give it a try

PSA is a running joke around this forum, but if you're hard on yourself and treat the flights right you'll learn that it's just another rung up the ladder. Regionals are regionals. As it's been stated, their interviews aren't difficult. Keep your spirits up, try to keep current, and you'll do fine.

Took a year and a half before I was hired at a 121.

Some people trash 135 ops, but see if instead of interning if any of them are hiring. I started at a 135 op working as an operations coordinator (basically working the front desk with some flight following thrown in), within about three months I was at a 121 domestic as an assistant dispatcher which really involved all kinds of duties. Worked there for 2 and a half years, and now I dispatch at a 121 supplemental operating in several different areas...eventually the goal is a major but I make decent money and enjoy what I do now, so you never know what you will find on the way up. Just try anywhere you can that will net you some experience, it might just open some doors.

There is something likely wrong in your resume, application or background. You should at least be getting interviews. Interviews are not particularly hard to get.

I can only assume its my resume. My background is clean & I'm not really sure how one can screw up an application.

Thanks in advance.

It took me a while to get the gig. My work history wasn't much to write home about but I had two degrees. I was in my early 20s so I don't know if I was over, under, or in any way qualified. I bombed a video interview with a large LCC, and in hindsight am glad I did. I ended up in a much better place.

I was not worried about forgetting anything. Initial at your airline is not teaching you regs. They are teaching you how to dispatch. You know 1-2-3, you can read a METAR/TAF, interpret NOTAMS, understand MELs, etc.

Keep at it. I'd be glad to look at your resume, but I'm only 'some guy.' It's a great profession with great people.

Thanks in advance.

It took me 10 months to land my first dispatch job after receiving my certificate. I applied to any and everyone that had an opening. Had a couple phone interviews and a couple face to face with nothing panning out. I had an aviation background with a commercial pilot certificate, a BA in Flight Ops and had been working for the past 8 years in a Flight Ops Supervisor position for a large cargo carrier. From everything I had read I though I would have had a job in no time. While I waited to get the call I was able to substitute teach the class I got my certificate from, I also made index cards with common/reoccurring questions I had gotten in interviews, I asked the FAA inspector who I tested with to get my certificate what he thought I could do to help me land a job and I went back to my college and did mock interviews to beef up my interviewing skills and had my resume reviewed. I did everything I could think of to try and help/better myself. I tried to self reflect after every interview and took notes immediately after getting out of an interview about what I was asked and where I thought I did good/bad. It all worked out in the end but it was a very frustrating beginning. Good Luck!

Back