An American Airlines passenger died after a flight during which a doctor allegedly asked crew for an emergency landing three times

Houston

https://amp.businessinsider.com/ame...ies-after-suffering-embolism-on-flight-2018-4

American Airlines passenger Brittany Oswell died after an April 15 flight from Hawaii to South Carolina with a stop in Dallas-Fort Worth on which she suffered an embolism and went into cardiac arrest, according to a wrongful death lawsuit filed against the airline by Oswell's husband and parents.
The lawsuit claims Oswell began to feel unwell while the flight was near Los Angeles and fainted after becoming disoriented and slurring her speech. A doctor who was a passenger on the flight allegedly talked to Oswell after she regained consciousness and determined she was having a panic attack.
According to the lawsuit, within three hours of the doctor's initial conversation, Oswell vomited and defecated on herself in the bathroom. The doctor then allegedly examined Oswell and told flight attendants to let the flight crew know it should land the plane at the nearest airport so Oswell could receive further medical attention.

The quoted portion leaves out that the aircrew elected to continue to DFW from over ABQ and most of the medical equipment on board was broken. I don't know if medical equipment is a requirement on 121, but if it is, then that's way below average. Don't know if the crew decision (I'm certainly not questioning them) or the medical equipment thing is causal, but I can see how the family would want to dig.

There's nothing really useful to them between ABQ and DFW. I mean, El Paso?

Also, was she scuba diving in Hawaii that morning or something? Not really sure how one gets an embolism from an 8000' change in PA.

It's pretty sad either way.

How long does it take to get from LAX to DFW? It says she first started to feel unwell over Los Angeles, but the Dr wasn't concerned until 3 hours later. I mean, it only takes 4 hours to go from NY to Denver, id have to think that 3 hours after LA they gotta be near DFW?

The quoted portion leaves out that the aircrew elected to continue to DFW from over ABQ and most of the medical equipment on board was broken. I don't know if medical equipment is a requirement on 121, but if it is, then that's way below average. Don't know if the crew decision (I'm certainly not questioning them) or the medical equipment thing is causal, but I can see how the family would want to dig.

There's nothing really useful to them between ABQ and DFW. I mean, El Paso?

Also, was she scuba diving in Hawaii that morning or something? Not really sure how one gets an embolism from an 8000' change in PA.

It's pretty sad either way.

Would depend on your decompression status.

How long does it take to get from LAX to DFW? It says she first started to feel unwell over Los Angeles, but the Dr wasn't concerned until 3 hours later. I mean, it only takes 4 hours to go from NY to Denver, id have to think that 3 hours after LA they gotta be near DFW?

That was my thought too when I read the article. Of course, like so many stories, there are a whole lot of details missing.

Would depend on your decompression status.
I’m no doctor, but I’m pretty sure a PE can sort of just happen. Source: co worker keeled over from one during dinner one night. His wife was sure he’d died. Came out of it just fine but dang scary.

We have specifically been told if the POC (physician on call) says to continue, you continue.

You have no idea the qualifications of the “doctor” or whatever other medical personnel are in the back. It’s my understanding that the POC accepts all liability when it comes to diverting or continuing.

You have no idea the qualifications of the “doctor” or whatever other medical personnel are in the back..
DOCTOR.jpg

Sitting sedentary (such as a long flight) for long periods of time can cause a DVT which in turn could cause a PE. One article mentions that the "defibrillator" didn't shock her. That is because AEDs are programmed to only shock vF and vT rhythms,so if she had coded and was in asystole there wouldn't have been a rhythm to shock. In over 10 years of working EMS I rarely saw blood pressure cuffs fail,unless they were beaten and abused on a daily basis,perhaps user error here? At any rate,this occurred 2 years ago,wonder why now they are seeking legal action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its like 3.5 hours.

Keeping in mind that it was a heavy, prob a 777 or 787, landing in those small BFE places may not be rapidly able to handle them. Gate space, or just stairs may not be readily available.

That's a good point and one that the general flying public likely doesn't know.

Back