Possible landing without clearance

ForumCaptain84

We were flying into a Class B airport recently. The communications between approach, tower, and aircraft were moderately busy. We were assigned an airspeed on final about 4 miles out and to contact tower. I admit we got distracted by the sun in the eyes, and duty related items. I plugged the new frequency in and forgot to hit the switch. As we touched down, I immediately noticed the problem and called the tower saying we were on runway ##. The tower seemed unphased and told us to take the first turnoff and asked where we were parking. We told them, and were instructed to taxi in with him, and the controller sounded normal. I filled out a NASA form to be safe. My question to the controllers, or other pilots, if we did indeed land at a Class B airport and something was going to come out of it we both were thinking we would have gotten an earful or instructions to call the tower. I would appreciate any thoughts. First time like this ever happening in my aviation career :/

I've done it before. After landing approach told us to contact ground. Never heard anything about it. The other day I heard approach clear a Skywest to land and call the tower at their convienience. Both happened at an airport with taxiway "Dixie." I think as long as there was no loss of separation, or a danger involved, no harm, no foul. They know you're there. BTW, maybe they were giving you the light gun green. You filled out an ASAP, you're good.

Sounds like Atlanta!

I never was a big fan of "At XXX, contact tower." I know controllers are busy too, but they were basically saying "hey, right when you're entering the busiest phase of your flight, remember to do something."
Let's see, a configuration change, speed change, a checklist, a frequency change and a landing clearance all at once.

Yeah, sounds great!

If some of you would stop blowing through the final or slowing prematurely and prior to the marker (NKS, SKW, EDV, FFT, DAL75s, NWA I mean DAL buses, etc.) we'd probably let you go to the tower before say AJAAY, DEPOT, etc. on a visual approach.

It's kinda funny that in training we get these approach profiles that ensure a nice smooth stable approach and then you get out into the real world and you get "ZOMG 210 TO THE BRIDGE!!1111ONEONE!!!ELEVETYONE"

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We were flying into a Class B airport recently. The communications between approach, tower, and aircraft were moderately busy. We were assigned an airspeed on final about 4 miles out and to contact tower. I admit we got distracted by the sun in the eyes, and duty related items. I plugged the new frequency in and forgot to hit the switch. As we touched down, I immediately noticed the problem and called the tower saying we were on runway ##. The tower seemed unphased and told us to take the first turnoff and asked where we were parking. We told them, and were instructed to taxi in with him, and the controller sounded normal. I filled out a NASA form to be safe. My question to the controllers, or other pilots, if we did indeed land at a Class B airport and something was going to come out of it we both were thinking we would have gotten an earful or instructions to call the tower. I would appreciate any thoughts. First time like this ever happening in my aviation career :/
Nope, you missed the green light from the tower before you touched down.

You might be saying, but jynxy, i saw no green light, but it was there, 99% sure.

Thanks everyone! I had a feeling if we truly had an issue that the controller would have said something or had us call him. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Another learning experience I think I've shared before. Our gate location was a very short trip to the runway intersection we use for departure. 99.9% of the time, taxi and pre-takeoff duties can be finished before the call to ground for the few hundred feet that are controlled. I was head down setting up the cockpit and running checks and the next thing I know captain took us to the hold bars. Luckily it was unusually slow with crossing traffic and ground wasn't too pissed at us.

I may have once met a guy who did exactly the same thing at least 20 years ago. If you asked him, he'd say he saw the green. He'd swear to it. Maybe it was a reflection, but he's sure. The guy. But no one ever asked.

If some of you would stop blowing through the final or slowing prematurely and prior to the marker (NKS, SKW, EDV, FFT, DAL75s, NWA I mean DAL buses, etc.) we'd probably let you go to the tower before say AJAAY, DEPOT, etc. on a visual approach.
And if you would stop asking us to do 210 knots on a 70 degree intercept, that would also be "great." ;)

Im happy to do that.

At the same time, I'm about done with 30nm out slow to 170.

We've all got preference i suppose. Keep me fast until the last second plz

Oh you're gonna fit in good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repeat after me. "That's my profit sharing!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im happy to do that.

At the same time, I'm about done with 30nm out slow to 170.

We've all got preference i suppose. Keep me fast until the last second plz

Meh, some of us like to be stabilized and configured by the FOQA gate and not run of the end of runways at places like BUR too. ;)

Meh, some of us like to be stabilized and configured by the FOQA gate and not run of the end of runways at places like BUR too. ;)
Well i land on the numbers, that way i dont need the first 1000 for the picnic after i over run bur.

Luckily our gates arent that restrictive, i haven't tripped them, or enough to get a phone call every

Back