Westwind Gear Problem SRQ

KVNC

Florida Man
So I had an interesting evening at the airport tonight when my student and I had to return to the ramp due to an inbound emergency involving a Westwind. Apparently on departure from Belize the a/c lost the tire and/or wheel assembly on the left main. The crew was advised of this and decided to return to base here at SRQ. Upon arrival and a low pass, the tower confirmed the missing components. After burning fuel over the gulf, the a/c landed and departed the left side of the runway on rollout at moderate to slow speed. No injuries.

My question for the jet guys is in a scenario such as this when there is a main gear issue is there ever consideration for landing gear up? My concern would be loss of directional control at a high rate of speed when the wingtip/gear strut impacts the runway. It's assumed the a/c is going to be damaged either way, so is it possible more control might be retained just flairing it out nicely gear up?

Either way, good job to the crew for getting her down and stopped in one piece and getting out safe. I'm just trying to get some thoughts on general opinions on best handling in a scenario like this.

AFAIK, there's no set procedure. If I were in a low (or mid) wing aircraft, I would be slightly more concerned about fuel, fire, etc. But with burning off/dumping (not sure whether the Westwind has dump, immaterial, i suppose, since they had time to burn fuel), and the fact that the Westwind has that nice long, big, straight wing which I would imagine affords rather low landing speeds, particularly at low weights, I think I'd probably rather have the one brake rather than none, and something between the ground and the bottom of the fuselage. It's a fair question, though, curious to see what others have to say.

In a hawker I'd probably leave them all up. In the g200 I'm not certain. I don't know anything about westwinds.

As Boris said, unless there is a procedure... then don't deviate from norms. When I was instructing, I had a gear issue in a light single which resulted in a collapse and propeller strike. In the end it was no big deal, but having to disclose it while filling out insurance forms really sucks.

Rumor is one popular business jet was designed with a gear up in mind. I'm not typed, nor have I ever flown it, so as far as I am concerned it is just a rumor.

As Boris said, unless there is a procedure... then don't deviate from norms. When I was instructing, I had a gear issue in a light single which resulted in a collapse and propeller strike. In the end it was no big deal, but having to disclose it while filling out insurance forms really sucks.

Rumor is one popular business jet was designed with a gear up in mind. I'm not typed, nor have I ever flown it, so as far as I am concerned it is just a rumor.
I hate Hawkers. They're orphaned now, it's just a matter of time.

Just think some engineer received a bonus for designing that donut. Every line guy hates that engineer.
Line guys? Have you ever had to actually work on one? They're not dangerous, they're robust in a manner that reminds me of a Monty Python movie, and I like Monty Python, but I hate Hawkers. Did you know the floorboards in the cabin are balsa wood with thick aluminum foil on both sides?

I will admit that the easiest engine changes I've ever done were Hawker 800s without T/Rs. Easy money.

Line guys? Have you ever had to actually work on one? They're not dangerous, they're robust in a manner that reminds me of a Monty Python movie, and I like Monty Python, but I hate Hawkers. Did you know the floorboards in the cabin are balsa wood with thick aluminum foil on both sides?

Fortunately my HS-125 has been limited to components removed from the airframe and brought to the repair station.

Also glad that I never had to load bags through the only cabin door.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

But if you have to land gear up, tough to think of a better plane to do it in.

Usually I land gear up in airplanes equipped with Wipline amphibs.

2bbc463fe0a665f23215d09f71f655ee.jpg

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

Just think some engineer received a bonus for designing that donut. Every line guy hates that engineer.

Our passengers have a contest going- who can fly the furthest without using the LAV. Current record holder is the owner... 7.5 hour transcon with no lav use.

We used to land all the float planes in the grass next to the runway... without wheels. Works great. Use wet grass.

In the A-10, with a gear emergency, if at all possible land with all gear down, or all gear up. Secondarily with nose only, and tertiary with nose and one main.

One main only and/or both mains only, either of which with no nose gear; ejection was very highly recommended as opposed to attempting to land in those configurations.

Back