Lufthansa and drone on approach to LAX

A Life Aloft

Keep in mind, any dramatics are coming from the reporters, but: L.A. Times

The pilot of a commercial jetliner said his plane nearly collided with a drone while approaching Los Angeles International Airport on Friday afternoon, sparking a search by L.A. police and sheriff's officials for the owner of the unmanned aircraft.

The near-miss was reported before 2 p.m. about 14 miles east of the airport at an elevation of 5,000 feet and involved a Lufthansa Airbus A380, said Los Angeles police Lt. Robert Binder. The drone flew 200 feet over the aircraft, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

L.A. County Sheriff’s Department and police helicopters were headed to the area to try and locate the drone pilot, Binder said, adding that it would be a long-shot search.

As drones have become more prevalent, so have their run-ins with aircraft. Over the last few years, drones have grounded firefighting aircraft in California by flying too close during firefighting missions and have smacked into buildings and taken down power lines.

In November, a Los Angeles man was forced to hand his drone over and promise not to fly one for another three years after interfering with a police search.

Pilots across the country are logging a fast-rising number of near-misses with drones, with 1 out of 5 of those risky incidents happening in California, according to an August 2015 article in the Los Angeles Times. Those conclusions come from an analysis of federal data released Thursday by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)

The data show nearly 200 reports of close encounters involving drones reported in California since April 2014 — the most of any state.

Currently, hobbyists flying drones have few federal legal restrictions, although they are warned not to fly within five miles of airports or above 400 feet. Drone operators can be fined if they endanger people or other aircraft, the FAA says.

And from one of our local news stations-KABC

LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
A Lufthansa flight on approach to Los Angeles International Airport nearly hit a drone while flying at about 5,000 feet Friday, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

The pilot of the A380-800 spotted the drone flying approximately 200 feet above the aircraft, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said in a statement.

The FAA immediately alerted the LAPD's Air Support Division.

An investigation was immediately launched by aviation authorities, who are now searching the air 14 miles east of the airport.

Lufthansa Flight 456 from Frankfurt, Germany landed at LAX Runway 24 around 1:30 p.m. without further incident.

The FAA prohibits drones and model airplanes from flying higher than 400 feet or within 5 miles of an airport. Violators could be punished with up to $1,000 in fines and six months in jail.

Drones have become increasingly popular with hobbyists. The FAA estimates that 1.6 million small unmanned aircraft will be sold this year, with half during the last three months of the year.

Government and industry officials have expressed concern that drones, like birds, could be sucked into an aircraft engine, smash a cockpit windshield or damage a critical aircraft surface area and cause a crash.

"This is one more incident that could have brought down an airliner, and it's completely unacceptable. A near-miss of 200 feet should serve as a stark reminder of the dangers posed by reckless drone use," Sen. Dianne Feinstein said in a statement.

Put that little bastard in to the correct engine in the correct way and you've got Qantas 32, except closer to the ground, on approach, and conceivably with a less superb crew. But it's no big deal until it's written in blood, as usual.

Put that little bastard in to the correct engine in the correct way and you've got Qantas 32, except closer to the ground, on approach, and conceivably with a less superb crew. But it's no big deal until it's written in blood, as usual.

1/4 engines gone, at low power with 1 minute left on the approach. Non issue.

I want to see the video. Probably has some sweet music - and a great view of wake turbulence.

Couple weeks ago I was about to take off from an uncontrolled field in a 150. Dude in the pattern tells me to watch out for a drone near the crosswind and I should probably fly at least a 5 mile upwind. I take off and I see a clump of balloons

That's one of those things that I see a lot more than I was expecting. I'd say once every couple months I see a birthday balloon go flying by.
I passed some Bday balloons over my Starboard wing partway from SAT to Addison - more exciting/ unexpected than not changing fuel selection another day

I'd like to mount my jet with perimeter defense RAIL guns.

BRBLRBLRBLBLBRBLRBLBBLBLLL

"Drone's no longer a threat, tower, get we get an early turn direct TRM VORTAC?"

Meanwhile, some neckbeard below is sad because his plans for his epic video got dashed.
You said "neckbeard".... lol

I was about to ask how many gauss rounds Fifi could store.

It gets into your daily vernacular, sa sa?

I want some of those interrogation lozenges, like yesterday.

The-Expanse-S1x03-Interrogation-by-the-MCRN-400x223.jpg

"So candidate you say you work well on teams but two years forty eight days nine hours three minutes forty six seconds ago you gave your first officer the 'finger' WHY? finger finger finger"

I'd like to mount my jet with perimeter defense RAIL guns.

BRBLRBLRBLBLBRBLRBLBBLBLLL

"Drone's no longer a threat, tower, get we get an early turn direct TRM VORTAC?"

Meanwhile, some neckbeard below is sad because his plans for his epic video got dashed.

"CQB? Nobody is crazy enough to engage Derg in CQB!"

I want some of those interrogation lozenges, like yesterday.

View attachment 34654

"So candidate you say you work well on teams but two years forty eight days nine hours three minutes forty six seconds ago you gave your first officer the 'finger' WHY? finger finger finger"
That. Would. Be. Awesome!
:)

Derg said:
I want some of those interrogation lozenges, like yesterday. "So candidate you say you work well on teams but two years forty eight days nine hours three minutes forty six seconds ago you gave your first officer the 'finger' WHY? finger finger finger"

image-3591802670.jpg

Back