sbe
Well-Known Member
Possibly against my better judgement, I'm giving the flying thing a go. I have been on this forum forever, and used to be quite active in the 2002-2005 or 6 timeframe when I was actively pursuing ratings and wanted to...give the flying thing a go. I've decided to do it now while I have (relative) youth and the hiring picture is quite different. I own a photography studio. Which *was* quite successful but is a bit like squeezing blood from a turnip in recent years as the market is getting overly flooded - and a lot of "momtographers" who want to shoot as a side job and charge half (or less) of a livable wage. Although I've had a good run, it's time to move on.
That said, with my husband's full support, I'm gearing up to go fly. All I lack to meet hiring requirements is some multi time. That is being addressed this fall. I will meet all ATP mins by the holidays. I need to figure out WHERE to fly. But those two things aside, I'm stuck in a bit of a conundrum and that's the lack of a clean break from my current business. Until I figure this all out, I've stopped booking additional weddings for 2016. I have FOUR weddings booked. ONLY FOUR. And it's those four that are making me hold off on applying this winter once I am ready. I have two dates in May, one in June, and one August 6th. I am taking nothing else for now. This leads me to my question, because I have no knowledge of whether there's any way around this....am I stuck waiting for class until after August 6 since I won't control my schedule (obviously)? Of course, they're weddings, so they are on Saturdays. Passing them off to another photographer isn't an option. I'm obligated to photograph them. Signed contracts and retainers paid and all that. It's just killing me that I have to hold off for potentially another year, and lose all that seniority, over basically four days.
If I'm just screwed with no way of working these in and getting on earlier, I'll just have to continue booking until 8/6/16 so I have *some* income in the meantime. Why I couldn't have a "normal" job and give 2 weeks notice is beyond me. But no, it can't be that simple.
Thanks for any advice.
Sarah
That said, with my husband's full support, I'm gearing up to go fly. All I lack to meet hiring requirements is some multi time. That is being addressed this fall. I will meet all ATP mins by the holidays. I need to figure out WHERE to fly. But those two things aside, I'm stuck in a bit of a conundrum and that's the lack of a clean break from my current business. Until I figure this all out, I've stopped booking additional weddings for 2016. I have FOUR weddings booked. ONLY FOUR. And it's those four that are making me hold off on applying this winter once I am ready. I have two dates in May, one in June, and one August 6th. I am taking nothing else for now. This leads me to my question, because I have no knowledge of whether there's any way around this....am I stuck waiting for class until after August 6 since I won't control my schedule (obviously)? Of course, they're weddings, so they are on Saturdays. Passing them off to another photographer isn't an option. I'm obligated to photograph them. Signed contracts and retainers paid and all that. It's just killing me that I have to hold off for potentially another year, and lose all that seniority, over basically four days.
If I'm just screwed with no way of working these in and getting on earlier, I'll just have to continue booking until 8/6/16 so I have *some* income in the meantime. Why I couldn't have a "normal" job and give 2 weeks notice is beyond me. But no, it can't be that simple.
Thanks for any advice.
Sarah