AMAZING Book on Eastern Airlines

jwp_145

GhostRider in the Sky
So I just finished reading a brand new book titled "Final Destination: DISASTER: What Really Happened to Eastern Airlines" written by a former Eastern Captain and MEC member George Jehn.

He's spent the last 25 years investigating what really happened to Eastern, and the results are absolutely sickening... Presidential involvement, high level government manipulation, and an inefective union conspired to kill an airline that was otherwise financially healthy.

I suggest it be the next book that you buy as it is really a page turner.

81EchFVMg8L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, found on iBooks, gonna start it tomorrow on my way back to Seattle
Hey let me know what you think about the book after you finish it... Its contents made me very angry and ashamed of what our government can do to preserve its own best intetest. Those guys at Eastern didn't have to lose their company but outside forces conspired against them.

Hey let me know what you think about the book after you finish it... Its contents made me very angry and ashamed of what our government can do to preserve its own best intetest. Those guys at Eastern didn't have to lose their company but outside forces conspired against them.
Thought the same about what they did to Pan Am by blocking their domestic route request, but giving domestic carriers rights to international routes. Granted Pan Am did themselves no favours by their lobbying/etc, and getting in a bidding war for National.

I hope it's as good as Skygods (even if it was written by a scab)

I'll tell ya what happened to eastern. They came back as an awesome startup ans are flying 737s out of MiA...they're back baby!!

What does everyone think about the new Eastern Air Lines? Gonna make it back to the majors or headed for a return trip to chapter 11? Why do you think what you do?

Thought the same about what they did to Pan Am by blocking their domestic route request, but giving domestic carriers rights to international routes. Granted Pan Am did themselves no favours by their lobbying/etc, and getting in a bidding war for National.

I hope it's as good as Skygods (even if it was written by a scab)
It's not as good as SkyGods... that was the best book I've ever read!
Who is the scab? Jehn or Gandt?

It's not as good as SkyGods... that was the best book I've ever read!
Who is the scab? Jehn or Gandt?
Gandt, flew in Berlin while Pan Am was on strike. I love the book, but dude crossed a picket line, so my appreciation for him stops there.

Another good Pan Am read is "The Pan Am Journey" by Thomas Kewin. It's more a personal story, but gives a good impression of flying the line at Pan Am.

What does everyone think about the new Eastern Air Lines? Gonna make it back to the majors or headed for a return trip to chapter 11? Why do you think what you do?

I think they'll end up like PeopleExpress, Skybus, California Pacific etc. UNLESS they have enough revenue to get going, keep going, knock down doors, and work their way into the big leagues like Virgin America did most recently. Isn't the new Eastern only starting out as a charter operation though?

I think they'll end up like PeopleExpress, Skybus, California Pacific etc. UNLESS they have enough revenue to get going, keep going, knock down doors, and work their way into the big leagues like Virgin America did most recently. Isn't the new Eastern only starting out as a charter operation though?

They seem to have a solid management team with plenty of financial background. I would hope that they started this thing with a large enough pile of cash to get them through any start up issues (like a fuel truck hitting your only airplane). That being said, I think they currently only have one aircraft.

Yes, looks like charter for right now, but may only be so they can start generating revenue while getting their ducks in a row for scheduled service.

They seem to have a solid management team with plenty of financial background. I would hope that they started this thing with a large enough pile of cash to get them through any start up issues (like a fuel truck hitting your only airplane). That being said, I think they currently only have one aircraft.

Yes, looks like charter for right now, but may only be so they can start generating revenue while getting their ducks in a row for scheduled service.

Agreed, they have 10 orders for the 737-800, and 20 orders for the MRJ90. With that kind of investment, I hope the best for them. 30 planes strong is a lot better than 2 that are leased by another company all together.

Agreed, they have 10 orders for the 737-800, and 20 orders for the MRJ90. With that kind of investment, I hope the best for them. 30 planes strong is a lot better than 2 that are leased by another company all together.

Exactly, looks like a strong start... and Boeing is not just donating the aircraft to a good cause, there has to be some serious financial backing.

Nothing will beat "Splash of Color"!
I own that book as well... bought it used in perfect condition on Amazon for 99cents.

I have the PanAm Journey too.

There's another great book I bought on Amazon for a buck called "The Sporty Game" about the competition between the DC10 and Tristar.

It is crazy how you can get brand ew "Used" books on Amazon for $1-$5.

Just finished it...epic book!

Borman can go to hell if the contents of the book are true...I remember the days of Eastern at ATL, L-1011's/A300/727/757's. The day they shut down was extremely sad.

Just finished it...epic book!

Borman can go to hell if the contents of the book are true...I remember the days of Eastern at ATL, L-1011's/A300/727/757's. The day they shut down was extremely sad.
I have no reason to believe that anything in that book was false or incorrect.

Back