UNC Air Operations

skydriverdc6

https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/64219

I am currently a pilot at UNC, been here for almost 7 years. If you have any questions PM me. Starting pay prob upper 40's. Job closes on December 12th, 2014.

Here is a short (day in the life):

Job description says 8am-5pm, that's never happened as long as I've worked here. Typical day you show up at 0630, pre-flight, get fuel, wait on passengers, fly anywhere between 40 minutes to 3 hours depending on destination, sit there all day, then fly home. Most days are over 10 hours duty day, 12 hour duty is common. You work all hours of day and night, but generally not past midnight. Its all Single Pilot IFR, all weather. Have good IFR skills. We are Part 91. On any given day we fly all over the state of NC from RDU, and also fly outside the state, to DCA, IAD, TEB, JFK, MCO, MIA, CLT, etc. Be able to shoot approaches into busy airports. If your idea of an approach is 110 kts with full flaps and gear out on 10 mile final, probably wont go over well here. We fly into some busy airports that know us and know what we can do, they will expect you to do the same =)

Most of us were former freight dawgs. However, we fly nice well maintained equipment, with Radar, XM, Strikefinder and good working autopilots. We have 3 on staff mechanics who do a great job. I never once blast off in zero/zero and worry that they screwed something up. You will start out in BE58 Baron and then later move up to other stuff. Its not a time builder job. 4 years I've gotten about 400 hours of Turboprop time. But you get a lot of vacation time, descent insurance and benefits and a retirement which you don't have to contribute anything too if you stay long enough without going insane =).

We are a small group of pilots only 4 of us here now, we are mainly looking for someone easy going, our opinion is that if your flying isn't that great or you are un-familar with barons/single engine turboprops but meet the flight times, we can fix that, but we can't fix stupidity or cure an •.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I forgot to add that a typical week is around 45 hours of duty time. So you likely get one to 1.5 days a week where you may not be scheduled to fly. On those non-scheduled flying days you don't have to come in to the office.

Applied and interviewed the last time the position was open. Overall looked like an awesome job.

Last edited:
Met the chief pilot in Marquette Michigan. Seemed like a good operation for someone looking for a long term job with good benefits and retirements

Back