Definitions please if you can...

Troy McClure

Ah say boy...Whattcha got there son?
I saw someone define their company as a "Category 1" airline...and they had "Group 1 & 2" aircraft.

What is a Cat 1 airline? Is that an FAA term? I searched FAR/AIM.
And same goes for Group 1 , group 2 aircraft??
Am I just blind? or ____________________?

Category 1 airline is an ICAO safety rating.

Group 1 airplanes are props, group 2 are jets.

I saw someone define their company as a "Category 1" airline...and they had "Group 1 & 2" aircraft.

What is a Cat 1 airline? Is that an FAA term? I searched FAR/AIM.
And same goes for Group 1 , group 2 aircraft??
Am I just blind? or ____________________?

Nah, I heard that for the first time today as well.

Some airlines do "Pay Banding" where they group similar-sized (more or less) airplanes in groupings for pay purposes. Like a 757 and a 737-900 might be considered "similar" so some airlines and unions agree to pay at the same rate for simplicity.

Some airlines pay by "Longevity" which means if you're a tenth year FO, all pay is the same across all equipment types. Same applies if you're a captain. So a captain on the 737 would pay the same as a captain on the 777.

Some airlines, like the one I work for, pay based on "Equipment Type" — I'm not exactly sure what it's actually called. So it's a matter of a formula of "speed and payload" for the most part. The idea is that it's a combination of passengers, flyable freight and actually the speed of the aircraft. I'm not sure if this is as much of a player today. Small caveat is that we grouped a few aircraft together like the 777 and 747 and the 767-400 and the A330 for merger purposes. But that's a whole different discussion.

My airline doesn't do group-based "pay banding" so the example in the other thread was simply apples and oranges.

Zacly....Poly-ticks and What words. Just as I suspected.
What you don't know.....!

Thanks Gents.

Back