My Daddy is the Boss.

TaxiBack

Plane planes planes
Looking for feedback on a real scenario playing out now...

Daddy owns the charter company. Pilot Jr. is 24 got his PPL and is working on all the other ratings now. Expects to have CMEL by March. Dad is super excited to see Jr. finally get into flying....Cant wait to get him in the right seat of a CJ or Lear.
My question is what is the shortest "distance"...the most direct line to that Right Seat? Can Pops just send Jr off to FS/CAE and get him a couple of type ratings or basic systems ground with some sim time and Jr's in?
I have read the SIC fars up and down...and it just seems like Jr. still needs to go fly banners or traffic watch for about 1100 hours....Am I missing something here? Was I born into the wrong family ?(Sorry Mom!).
The assumption here is everything is set to go...Jr. will pass all the checks and tests just fine. I am asking this question only in terms of the regs. In other words, how little time can he have and have daddy hand him his SIC wings?

Nothing personal. Just the Fax Ma'am....Just the Fax.

I believe it's legal as long as he isn't the pic...now that means absolutely nothing when it comes to the insurance companies and what they say they want for times.

Apparently our insurer is also "family" so as I said...all the bases are covered and the path is well greased!
Except for the FAA!!!

The faa shouldn't have an issue from what I understand...135 pic ifr mins are set in stone, I don't think there is any time requirements for right seat time...

I'm not sure where you are finding the flight time requirements. It is clearly stated that only a commercial certificate with instrument rating is the minimum.
§135.245 Second in command qualifications.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), no certificate holder may use any person, nor may any person serve, as second in command of an aircraft unless that person holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and an instrument rating. For flight under IFR, that person must meet the recent instrument experience requirements of part 61 of this chapter
If you are authorized to use, and need the benefits of, an eligible on-demand operation, the SIC must have 500 hours.
§135.4
Applicability of rules for eligible on-demand operations. (a) (2) (i) (B) Second in command—A minimum of 500 hours.

Yeah thanks! Maybe Im just not thinking right....I just keep thinking "135 mins" in my head...Im confusing 135.243 and .245....

Isn't there a minimum time requirement for a pic type on a turbojet? I can't think of the reg, but I feel like there's something with that.

It is all 135 and some 91 but Im specifically referring to 135 ops and SIC .......(NOT PIC, that is definitely not happening yet).
I think Polymox and Herik have pretty much steered me to the correct FARs. He can do it with all the correct gnd training and sim time and as long as he passes the SIC training he is good to go.
There is NOTHING about SIC minimum hours until you look at ON Demand Ops. And that's a whole nuther ball of wax.
But basically he's good to go....Im happy for him. We have some top guys here as PIC so he will get some good coaching.

Thanks for the help.

He really doesn't need any sim training, if his dad owns the company he will probably elect to do 61.55 instead of say cae or simcom.....

It is all 135 and some 91 but Im specifically referring to 135 ops and SIC .......(NOT PIC, that is definitely not happening yet).
I think Polymox and Herik have pretty much steered me to the correct FARs. He can do it with all the correct gnd training and sim time and as long as he passes the SIC training he is good to go.
There is NOTHING about SIC minimum hours until you look at ON Demand Ops. And that's a whole nuther ball of wax.
But basically he's good to go....Im happy for him. We have some top guys here as PIC so he will get some good coaching.

Thanks for the help.
Yeah, he just needs to complete the FAA approved training program that you have set up. Can be done in house or contracted out to FSI/CAE/Simcom, depending on your set up.

Thanks MOjo...I just realized that too....Finally connecting all the 61.55 dots....
Are you still flying the Metro at night???

You bet. The colloquial "135 mins" is for IFR PIC in operations that don't require an ATP, primarily freight hauling. That's 135.243.

If it is 135, don't forget that if it's in the ops manual it's a requirement. There could be SIC mins in there, too. Just a thought.

Isn't there a minimum time requirement for a pic type on a turbojet? I can't think of the reg, but I feel like there's something with that.

You need an ATP certificate with appropriate category/class/type rating(s) to act as PIC of a turbojet under 135....at least for passenger ops.

So basically ATP minimums.

§ 135.243 Pilot in command qualifica-
tions.

(a) No certificate holder may use a
person, nor may any person serve, as
pilot in command in passenger-car-
rying operations—
(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an air-
plane having a passenger-seat configu-
ration, excluding each crewmember
seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multi-
engine airplane in a commuter oper-
ation as defined in part 119 of this
chapter, unless that person holds an
airline transport pilot certificate with
appropriate category and class ratings
and, if required, an appropriate type
rating for that airplane.

Thanks to everyone for the pointers. this has been very informative. Just to steer the ship clear here....I was never talking about PIC! In fact, that is what was what was confusing me. I was mixing up PIC and SIC far requirements in my head. And I did not think to check our Ops Manual!
Again, I realize that there could be many obstacles that Dad can't pay for...but for now I was only interested it the FEDS rules..The FARs......Hopefully, things that dad can't pay for and that protect the rest of us in the Right Seat.!!!

Back