Looks Like I Picked the Wrong Day To Fly Through Chicago

Midway...go figure. The worst airport in our system for....just about everything.

I tell my family to avoid that place like the plague. Everything, other than the food, sucks there.

ORD wasn't that bad with ceilings down to 400, mist and 4mi vis (reported). We had an extra 10 mins waiting in line to depart but the live was long on the taxiway. I thought they did good to keep it all flowing, but what do I know.

Whoops wrong TSA. MY BAD!

Last edited:
I made the mistake today of leaving my parents house and commuting out of uniform. The line was non existent but the TSA didn't like my can of sardines. They swabbed it down and the machine flagged it! I got full bag search, a pat down, and they confiscated the can. I've probably been carrying that thing for six months now. Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Canada... Great job TSA. Great job.

I made the mistake today of leaving my parents house and commuting out of uniform. The line was non existent but the TSA didn't like my can of sardines. They swabbed it down and the machine flagged it! I got full bag search, a pat down, and they confiscated the can. I've probably been carrying that thing for six months now. Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Canada... Great job TSA. Great job.
I feel your pain, man. They confiscated my tuna.

What's that?
It's tuna.
What's all that liquid?
Ah...it's just a little mayo and lemon juice.
What else is in there?
Ah...... a little onion, green pepper, pickles and black olives.
It's too big.
Too big for what? It's my lunch.
You can't take it.
I haven't eaten in six hours.
What's in there?
Crackers.
You can keep those.
But they go with the tuna.
You can't have the tuna.
But I want the tuna, it's my lunch.
It's too big.
I promise not to start a tuna war with it. I am just going to eat it.
You can keep the crackers.
Look, I'll trade you the crackers for the tuna.
You can't have the tuna.
Can I have at least have the tupperware back?
No.
Do you want my plastic spoon too?
No.
Well I don't need it now, I was going to eat the tuna with it. Here.
I don't want it.
Well neither do I.
You can keep the spoon.

upload_2014-11-30_17-17-36.jpeg

Last edited:

What's that?
It's tuna.
What's that liquid?
What else is in there?
It's too big.
You can't take it.
What's in there?
Crackers.
You can keep those.
You can't have the tuna.
It's too big.
You can't have the tuna.
No.
No.
I don't want it.
Well neither do I.
You can keep the spoon.

View attachment 29524

It sounded delicious, I'm so sorry..

Maybe the TSA enjoyed it just as much as you would have.

It sounded delicious, I'm so sorry..

Maybe the TSA enjoyed it just as much as you would have.
I am convinced she ate it for lunch. They took one of our FAs chicken salad a few weeks later. Once they take away a man's tuna, what's he left with? Crackers and a damn spoon. I'll never forgive or forget.

"This is war. You're fighting in your own backyard. You're fighting for your family. For them, this is just some place. For us, this is our home. It's up to all of us to fight for it." lol

Last edited:
I am convinced she ate it for lunch. They took one of our FAs chicken salad a few weeks later. Once they take away a man's tuna, what's he left with? Crackers and a damn spoon. I'll never forgive or forget.

"This is war. You're fighting in your own backyard. You're fighting for your family. For them, this is just some place. For us, this is our home. It's up to all of us to fight for it." lol

I took the liberty... to enhance,

Hungry Pilot vs TSA Officer.

TSA: What's that?
PILOT: It's tuna.
TSA: What's all that liquid?
PILOT: Ah...it's just a little mayo and lemon juice.
TSA: What else is in there?
PILOT: Ah...... a little onion, green pepper, pickles and black olives.
TSA: It's too big.
PILOT: Too big for what? It's my lunch.
TSA: You can't take it.
PILOT: I haven't eaten in six hours.
TSA: What's in there?
PILOT: Crackers.
TSA: You can keep those.
PILOT: But they go with the tuna.
TSA: You can't have the tuna.
PILOT: But I want the tuna, it's my lunch.
TSA: It's too big.
PILOT: I promise not to start a tuna war with it. I am just going to eat it.
TSA: You can keep the crackers.
PILOT: Look, I'll trade you the crackers for the tuna.
TSA: You can't have the tuna.
PILOT: Can I have, can i at least have the tupperware back?
TSA: No.
PILOT: Do you want my plastic spoon too!?
TSA: No.
PILOT: Well I don't need it now, I was going to eat the tuna with it. Here.
TSA: I don't want it.
PILOT: Well neither do I!
TSA: You can keep the spoon.

Last edited:

What's that?
It's tuna.
What's all that liquid?
What else is in there?
It's too big.
You can't take it.
What's in there?
Crackers.
You can keep those.
You can't have the tuna.
It's too big.
You can't have the tuna.
No.
No.
I don't want it.
Well neither do I.
You can keep the spoon.

View attachment 29524
Go back out, put on the uniform go through kcm then eat the tuna in front of the tsa officer.

Go back out, put on the uniform go through kcm then eat the tuna in front of the tsa officer.
That's the crap part, I was in uniform. After 9/11 things were very chaotic with security and it changed by the month. It was not very consistent in a lot of ways and you had people making up their own set of rules and how they should be carried out. Then some of them simply didn't understand the rules. Things would be different at different airports. The staffing for agents took place incredibly fast and let's just say that most of them were not exactly rocket scientists. If you think it's bad now, it was far worse back then, believe me. Not that singing the stripper dance tune and swinging your belt around in the air helped though, or pointing out the hole in the toe of your F/O's sock to everyone. lol God help you if you used foot powder in your shoes and had orthotics in them.

Last edited:
Back when I instructed I dealt with TSA, unfortunately. I remember one day the lady sent me an email about our inspection. She attached a ms office style clip art badge to the email, it told me she was worthy of my respect.

Nowadays I have KCM, but I think we all get that TSA tool here and there. The guy that wanted to quiz me in engine out procedures, the one who wanted to bitch about pilots, but mostly the ones that just didn't work.

This reinforces why I don't like air travel. I obviously enjoy flying the aircraft or acting as a crew member. Time permitting I'd rather drive. That is ludicrous.

This reinforces why I don't like air travel. I obviously enjoy flying the aircraft or acting as a crew member. Time permitting I'd rather drive. That is ludicrous.
While it's certainly ridiculous that this happened, basing your opinion on .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of air travel is just as ludicrous.

While it's certainly ridiculous that this happened, basing your opinion on .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of air travel is just as ludicrous.

Yup. I just don't like traveling by air. :) I'll do it when I have to, but I still loathe it. FLYING the airplane sure lets go.

Back