ifr currency regarding appr.

AZflyboy

Hi guys, I have a question I cannot seem to get a solid answer to from both pilots, instructors and the far/aim.

Currently I need one more approach to log for my 6 month pic currency and this question sparked up...

What counts as an approach for currency? I was always told that as long as somewhere in the flight that you logged actual and you also shot an approach that would count as a approach for currency is this true?

Only asking because other pilots here are telling me that to log an approach for currency you must be actual until the FAF or the DA/DH which seems insane to me and I have never heard that before. Not to mention the FAR's don't even mention that, all they mention is that you must log actual or simulated but does not mention when and where.

I was always told that as long as somewhere in the flight that you logged actual and you also shot an approach that would count as a approach for currency is this true?

Definitely not true.

It's not in the far/aim so most people count it as an approach as long as you're in either actual or simulated actual up to the FAF or beyond.

You are the victim of "hearsay" knowledge. "I was told..." causes so much passed on mis-information.
There is cruise, then approach, then landing.
Does the "approach end at the FAF?
No, the approach phase ends at beginning of the landing phase, or at the DH/MDA, with runway/airport in sight.
The regulation writers didn't think they'd have to spell it out to us like children.

You are the victim of "hearsay" knowledge. "I was told..." causes so much passed on mis-information.
There is cruise, then approach, then landing.
Does the "approach end at the FAF?
No, the approach phase ends at beginning of the landing phase, or at the DH/MDA, with runway/airport in sight.
The regulation writers didn't think they'd have to spell it out to us like children.

Yeah I understand that there is different phases but I am talking specifically about only the approach. The far aim does not specify how much of the approach must be shot in actual or simulated conditions. It also does not say must be flown to the FAF in imc. Not to mention it doesn't help when I google search this and CFi corner website pops up and the answers from cfi's also say that you just need to log some actual or simulated for it to count... Obviously there is more people confused with it than just me.

It's kind of your call. Be honest and consistent and no one will ever question you. There are so many possible scenarios. What if you shoot the approach and go missed, but never once entered IMC because the fog was still below you at DA? What if you break out just before the FAF? What if there's a 100 ft thick cloud deck just past the FAF?

It's kind of your call. Be honest and consistent and no one will ever question you. There are so many possible scenarios. What if you shoot the approach and go missed, but never once entered IMC because the fog was still below you at DA? What if you break out just before the FAF? What if there's a 100 ft thick cloud deck just past the FAF?
I really do my best to be as honest as possible when it comes to flying, currency etc and I see what you are saying. My instructors always said the same thing really because there is always a ton of scenarios that can come up out of these questions. I only asked because it was un clear to me and wanted to possibly help out anyone else who runs into this thanks.

As long as you are consistent and conservative in your logging you will typically be fine. It isn't spelled out in the reg which leads one to ponder possibilities. I have friends who say you must be actual from FAF to mins. I have friends who say you must be IMC at some point after the IAF. I have some friends who say you must be "cleared" for the approach. The last two are too liberal for my taste, the first is too conservative.

I believe and log that if I am IMC at some point between the FAF and the DA/MDA it counts for currency. The vast majority of my friends and acquaintances do the same.

As long as you are consistent and conservative in your logging you will typically be fine. It isn't spelled out in the reg which leads one to ponder possibilities. I have friends who say you must be actual from FAF to mins. I have friends who say you must be IMC at some point after the IAF. I have some friends who say you must be "cleared" for the approach. The last two are too liberal for my taste, the first is too conservative.

I believe and log that if I am IMC at some point between the FAF and the DA/MDA it counts for currency. The vast majority of my friends and acquaintances do the same.
Thank you for that really appreciate it.

Back