SWA Flifo agent

Can't speak to the pay or schedule, but they do work in the NOC and considering WN's habit of hiring from within it's an excellent way to position yourself for transition into dispatch. Just had at least one person in the last class from FLIFO.

Thanks! With dispatch as the ultimate goal, can you say what SWAs policy is on how long one must stay in the position before being able to transfer? I heard a rumor recently of a pretty big dispatch class coming up early next year. For an outsider, sounds like you'd be leaning towards focusing one's efforts on just trying to get in the door somewhere as opposed to holding out hope for a miracle for that next class?

jetstream7104 said:
Thanks! With dispatch as the ultimate goal, can you say what SWAs policy is on how long one must stay in the position before being able to transfer? I heard a rumor recently of a pretty big dispatch class coming up early next year. For an outsider, sounds like you'd be leaning towards focusing one's efforts on just trying to get in the door somewhere as opposed to holding out hope for a miracle for that next class?

Difficult to say as I don't know how often Southwest will go outside for help in the future. Traditionally dispatchers are hired from within and external hiring was exceedingly rare, but with the increase in demand that might change. A lot will depend on what sort of experience you have coming in though that too isn't the only deciding factor here. The good news is at least for the moment any seniority you accrue in company will be retained for purposes of where you are pay wise, so if you put in 3 years of FLIFO before getting the nod you would come over at step 3 on the contract. A pretty good deal I'd say. Anyway certainly weigh that with the fact that there is a metric crap-ton of applications that come in any time there is an opening posted for dispatch.

Difficult to say as I don't know how often Southwest will go outside for help in the future. Traditionally dispatchers are hired from within and external hiring was exceedingly rare, but with the increase in demand that might change. A lot will depend on what sort of experience you have coming in though that too isn't the only deciding factor here. The good news is at least for the moment any seniority you accrue in company will be retained for purposes of where you are pay wise, so if you put in 3 years of FLIFO before getting the nod you would come over at step 3 on the contract. A pretty good deal I'd say. Anyway certainly weigh that with the fact that there is a metric crap-ton of applications that come in any time there is an opening posted for dispatch.

That's not true, PJ. Regardless of where you are in the company, anyone entering Dispatch starts at Step 1. The only thing you accrue with regards to company time, are the amount of vacation days.

Juliet Zulu said:
That's not true, PJ. Regardless of where you are in the company, anyone entering Dispatch starts at Step 1. The only thing you accrue with regards to company time, are the amount of vacation days.

Oops. Crap. I knew I'd fumble something on this play.

Do you keep your date of hire seniority as far as non rev priority goes?

Do you keep your date of hire seniority as far as non rev priority goes?

No. SWA doesn't use seniority in regards to non-revving. It's first come, first served. There are a few caveats, of course. For example, a buddy pass goes after an Employee, etc., etc.

I'm external. They told me they will start calling to set up in person interviews this week and next.

Back