1100 hours, Next Step?

You got it. Lots of med flights on the bottom half of the hour. Still, well above average pay and a good pilot group.
Just a newby question but are you literally on call 24 hours a day? Any hard time off?

10 hours rest after flying and every other weekend off.

I really don't want to start a debate about on call vs rest though. It's going to be a good 3 yr job and then I'll move on.

I used to work at Planesense awhile back, better than first and second year regional pay and great experience. The downside? The flight time is pretty much useless unless you land a good corporate gig and want to go that route OR fly PC-12s the rest of your career and don't mind spending time in NH. Either of which is respectable.

If you want to fly HVY equipment and 121 pax or cargo all roads point to 1500 hours and going to a regional. Even if you have right seat time in a -1900 or a -120 the majors seem to want some kind of jet. Actually one alternate route (and I'm not trying sell you anything bc there are issues here) but ALGT has a flow program going with Ameriflight right now. I don't know the details, like how long will take but, it could be a viable option to stay in Florida also.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
10 hours rest after flying and every other weekend off.

I really don't want to start a debate about on call vs rest though. It's going to be a good 3 yr job and then I'll move on.

There's no need, the FAA has made it clear that 24 hour on call shops aren't legal, but FSDO's are still turning a blind eye to the problem.

There's no need, the FAA has made it clear that 24 hour on call shops aren't legal, but FSDO's are still turning a blind eye to the problem.

Pittsburgh FSDO just came down hard on all the operators and stated they have to assign rest before a trip and can't use the look back method. Hallelujah. Its nice not being on call 24-7 :)

We also hire 1000+ hr guys for King Airs. Great pay, bad schedule, home every night. Doubt you'd want to live in msp after mia though!
From Michigan originally, actually missing the cold! Miami is great, but not a place I want to call home much longer.

I used to work at Planesense awhile back, better than first and second year regional pay and great experience. The downside? The flight time is pretty much useless unless you land a good corporate gig and want to go that route OR fly PC-12s the rest of your career and don't mind spending time in NH. Either of which is respectable.

If you want to fly HVY equipment and 121 pax or cargo all roads point to 1500 hours and going to a regional. Even if you have right seat time in a -1900 or a -120 the majors seem to want some kind of jet. Actually one alternate route (and I'm not trying sell you anything bc there are issues here) but ALGT has a flow program going with Ameriflight right now. I don't know the details, like how long will take but, it could be a viable option to stay in Florida also.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info!

Good Luck!

It's not useless, since it is Turbine PIC time, but if you don't have a fair amount of multi time before you go to work there, you may have to take a step backwards in pay to further your career.

I agree with the guy that says go to Cape Air.

Objection! Facts not in evidence.

(It's rare, but it does happen.)

Objection! Facts not in evidence.

(It's rare, but it does happen.)

Exactly, it's rare. If your willing to take the Hail Mary then go for it, but again and again and again I met guys at RAH that came from Lakes, Silver, AMF, Cape Air, Dynamic etc that all need jet time. They all thought they could dodge the regionals and all they did was delay they're careers 3 more years.

@Groundpounder yes, but it doesn't do much for the Majors. Ive never heard of anyone anywhere in the US that went from 500 piston ME and 2000 Pilatus PIC to a major without getting some jet time somewhere. At least not in the last 10-15 yrs anyways. @dasleben you were at a regional prior to Cape Air right?

Exactly, it's rare. If your willing to take the Hail Mary then go for it, but again and again and again I met guys at RAH that came from Lakes, Silver, AMF, Cape Air, Dynamic etc that all need jet time. They all thought they could dodge the regionals and all they did was delay they're careers 3 more years.

@Groundpounder yes, but it doesn't do much for the Majors. Ive never heard of anyone anywhere in the US that went from 500 piston ME and 2000 Pilatus PIC to a major without getting some jet time somewhere. At least not in the last 10-15 yrs anyways. @dasleben you were at a regional prior to Cape Air right?

Well, right, but plenty of people have moved on to better jobs from there, assuming they had multi time to begin with, myself included. I don't think anyone is getting on at a major unless they have prior 121, or an relative already working there.

Actually one alternate route (and I'm not trying sell you anything bc there are issues here) but ALGT has a flow program going with Ameriflight right now. I don't know the details, like how long will take but, it could be a viable option to stay in Florida also.

Don't know any of the details either, but I was talking with a buddy of mine who's headed over to Ameriflight and asked about the Allegiant flow through, he was telling me that those currently getting it have been there around 8 years. Not sure where he got that info, but if it's true there are definitely quicker ways to fly for the airlines.

Back