Instrument proficiency...

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
Well it's basically been since July that I have touched an airplane. I flew in a Redbird about a month or so ago and flew a few approaches. I'm starting to get worried about the deterioration of my instrument flying skills. I don't want to pay to go fly an actual airplane (although I'm not opposed to it from time to time to stay current) and I feel like paying for a Redbird sim is a bit of a waste. Plus I haven't been too happy with the place I've gone to that has the Redbird. No one around the area seems to have a desktop Frasca-style trainer anymore either which is what I would prefer. Any ideas? Are there any good at-home set ups I could get into for less than $250 or so? Is it worth going this route or should I just keep using the Redbird? Thanks!

I know Holladay Aviation at CRG has a desktop sim (Elite PI-135 BATD) but It's not as elaborate as a Frasca system. I'm not sure how much they charge but they're a good group.

David

I know Holladay Aviation at CRG has a desktop sim (Elite PI-135 BATD) but It's not as elaborate as a Frasca system. I'm not sure how much they charge but they're a good group.

David
I know the Holladays... Good people. I'll give them a call, thanks!

I'm not sure what it would cost to hook yourself up with MSFS and a joystick nowadays—assuming, of course, you already have a computer that'll be ballsy enough to run it. (Although the older versions shouldn't require that much oomph.)

I'm not sure what it would cost to hook yourself up with MSFS and a joystick nowadays—assuming, of course, you already have a computer that'll be ballsy enough to run it. (Although the older versions shouldn't require that much oomph.)
I've got Mac that is about 3 or 4 years old... Seems to run fast to me though! Haha, maybe I'll look into Microsoft FSX.

I'm going to hijack your thread, but it's worth it. What is a good place to rent at CRG? I need to get SE current again, as I want to take the kids up this next rotation home. I also need to look into getting the CFI reinstated. Any suggestions? Let me get current again, and we'll go fly some day soon. @chrisreedrules ,@Thinice

Same group (Holladay Aviation), has a 172...think it goes for $135/hr. Sterling has a couple of Warriors and an Arrow but I'm not sure what they are going for these days.

David

I use FS2002 with the A320 Professional Add-on to practice for PCs/PTs.

Back