International Strike Rules

sorrygottarunway

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/information/news/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm

This looks pretty long and drawn out- and AF has been planning on how to re-shuffle passengers. What happens if say, a partner carrier such as Delta is asked to fly an additional segment JFK-CDG (that DL already operates), as a delta flights, and takes passengers "transferred" off of an AF flight. Does ALPA get involved (different union). Is this scabbing? Has this ever happened?

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/information/news/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm

This looks pretty long and drawn out- and AF has been planning on how to re-shuffle passengers. What happens if say, a partner carrier such as Delta is asked to fly an additional segment JFK-CDG (that DL already operates), as a delta flights, and takes passengers "transferred" off of an AF flight. Does ALPA get involved (different union). Is this scabbing? Has this ever happened?
I hope someone responds, I'm also curious what people think their own union's position should be if presented with that situation.

I hope someone responds, I'm also curious what people think their own union's position should be if presented with that situation.
Well from the limited strikes I have seen in aviation, the union of said carrier usually describes what is considered scab work. When comair went on strike delta was left in the cold because other carriers wouldn't fly the routes that were considered struck.

I know it sucks that you can't get home as easily but this is a huge concern for many employees and their families.
Oh believe me, I understand completely. I'm fully behind any aviation strike, even if it is the French (said in jest because they're French and always on strike :confused: ). It just sucks it's happening during go home day.

Last edited:

The union representing Air France pilots (whose name I can never remember) is a member of the European Cockpit Association (ECA) and the International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations (IFALPA). ALPA works very closely with both, so if the Air France union wanted to set struck work rules that might involve U.S. carriers, the MECs affected would be notified. Typically if rules are set that might affect an ALPA carrier's pilots, a hotline is setup where the pilots can call in to find out if a specific flight they've been assigned fits into the struck work definition.

I haven't heard anything about any of the above taking place for this strike, so I'm guessing that the pilots didn't set any struck work rules that would affect ALPA affiliated pilot groups.

So the irony is that AF is still showing my flight on schedule, but Delta just cancelled my CDG - JFK flight. Time to make a call at 0230. There was a reason I was still up. I knew I'd have problems with my flight...

So the irony is that AF is still showing my flight on schedule, but Delta just cancelled my CDG - JFK flight. Time to make a call at 0230. There was a reason I was still up. I knew I'd have problems with my flight...
It sucks I get it but overall it's a good thing that they are standing up. It is saddening on the flip side that air France has flights even operating.

It sucks I get it but overall it's a good thing that they are standing up. It is saddening on the flip side that air France has flights even operating.
Agreed 1000%. The nice thing is it was the longest wait I've had on the phone call with Delta...3 minutes. Being Platinum has it's advantages. I talked to the lady, and she agreed it was due to the strike that it was cancelled, and booked me on my normal flight home. When I was booking these tickets, my normal flight home was $400 more, so I tried doing this other route that actually got me home earlier, but we see how that worked out.

So, in the end, I support the strike, don't help anybody cross picket lines, and get home at my normal time, for my normal price.

As far as AF, I believe I read somewhere that it is not a full strike, but basically a planned wildcat strike type of thing. I could very well be wrong about that, but if so, that would make it more tolerable for AF to still be flying certain routes. It kind of limits the effects of a strike, though...

I don't know how strikes work in France, but in Spain the government will dictate a minimum service required despite the strike, leading to approximately 60% of the flights being flow, and the strikes hardly last more than 2 days. Not sure how effective a strike is in that case.

Agreed 1000%. The nice thing is it was the longest wait I've had on the phone call with Delta...3 minutes. Being Platinum has it's advantages. I talked to the lady, and she agreed it was due to the strike that it was cancelled, and booked me on my normal flight home. When I was booking these tickets, my normal flight home was $400 more, so I tried doing this other route that actually got me home earlier, but we see how that worked out.

So, in the end, I support the strike, don't help anybody cross picket lines, and get home at my normal time, for my normal price.

As far as AF, I believe I read somewhere that it is not a full strike, but basically a planned wildcat strike type of thing. I could very well be wrong about that, but if so, that would make it more tolerable for AF to still be flying certain routes. It kind of limits the effects of a strike, though...

Enjoy your ride home, sir.

The union representing Air France pilots (whose name I can never remember) is a member of the European Cockpit Association (ECA) and the International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations (IFALPA). ALPA works very closely with both, so if the Air France union wanted to set struck work rules that might involve U.S. carriers, the MECs affected would be notified. Typically if rules are set that might affect an ALPA carrier's pilots, a hotline is setup where the pilots can call in to find out if a specific flight they've been assigned fits into the struck work definition.

I haven't heard anything about any of the above taking place for this strike, so I'm guessing that the pilots didn't set any struck work rules that would affect ALPA affiliated pilot groups.
Yes, they did. The SNFP (?) or whAtever they call themselves is working closely with DALPA to make sure there are no extra sections run. Delta can only fly whatever flights were loaded in the system in the previous 90 days, and they cannot upguage equipment. This is all spelled out in the JV language to protect each pilot group from being whipsawed against each other.

Back