Alaskan bush again.....

Yeah, I don't know, seems pretty speculative to me but I've never flown an Otter. IIRC the Feds claim the airplane may have been 38 lbs overweight which most people couldn't tell in a 172 much less a Turbine Otter. The aft CG may be the more important issue but again I'm not real familiar with the Otter or it's loading/flying characteristics, and the people I know who are have only flown them on floats.

I replied to that article in detail about what I think needs to happen to fix this sort of stuff. Willy was a nice guy, but there's a lot more to this than simply whacking pilots on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

Yeah, I don't know, seems pretty speculative to me but I've never flown an Otter. IIRC the Feds claim the airplane may have been 38 lbs overweight which most people couldn't tell in a 172 much less a Turbine Otter. The aft CG may be the more important issue but again I'm not real familiar with the Otter or it's loading/flying characteristics, and the people I know who are have only flown them on floats.
Ya, I'm not sure on the CG of that airplane. We know that being over gross was not a real factor.

38lbs in an otter is nothing - I probably couldn't tell the difference in a 150, but it's meaningless in an 8000lb airplane, but realistically the CG out the back end is a bummer, and while I doubt Willie was consistently overloading the airplane, there are places that do out there.

Back