Any drone/quadcopter flyers out there?

You would do better if you built your own. Google DJI flyaways.
Check out fpvlab.com if you really want to learn. The phantom is generally uh, frowned upon. On the plus side, they are rather plug and play. You would be LOADS ahead however to buy a cheapie and learn on that, because if you just jump into a phantom, you *will* have some expensive bumps in the road.

You would do better if you built your own. Google DJI flyaways.
Check out fpvlab.com if you really want to learn. The phantom is generally uh, frowned upon. On the plus side, they are rather plug and play. You would be LOADS ahead however to buy a cheapie and learn on that, because if you just jump into a phantom, you *will* have some expensive bumps in the road.
I saw a Phantom dealing with some pretty breezy conditions at an outdoor music festival on Whidbey Island last week. Was somewhat surprised with the way they were overflying the crowd all night.

Doesn't the Phantom now have firmware that prevents flight in close proximity to an airport?

I saw a Phantom dealing with some pretty breezy conditions at an outdoor music festival on Whidbey Island last week. Was somewhat surprised with the way they were overflying the crowd all night.
I wouldn't fly mine over a rowdy crowd.

Anyone who flies one over any group of people/crowds/events is a complete anus. They have many parts which must be working perfectly to fly. Lose a prop/ speed control/motor/sensor, and they come straight down with injuries guaranteed if they hit someone. Quads especially, the very expensive octocopters (10K or more) can suffer an engine failure and maintain.

Anyone who flies one over any group of people/crowds/events is a complete anus. They have many parts which must be working perfectly to fly. Lose a prop/ speed control/motor/sensor, and they come straight down with injuries guaranteed if they hit someone. Quads especially, the very expensive octocopters (10K or more) can suffer an engine failure and maintain.
I am somewhat familiar with the dynamics of flight. It wouldn't have to come straight down to cause an eye or facial injury. I was surprised because they had the blessings of the festival.

Depends on what you need it for. I use the DJI "1" with a gopro and zenmuze gimble to film shots of my wind turbines. The #2 looks nice with POV built in. I suggest going to B&H for a pre-built turnkey assembly. Learning curve is simple as long as you're serious about the application's seriousness. There are some important pre-mx sort of things you need to make sure you do to insure safety of flight within reason. Google and YT is your friend. Just be realistic about the application.

Depends on what you need it for. I use the DJI "1" with a gopro and zenmuze gimble to film shots of my wind turbines. The #2 looks nice with POV built in. I suggest going to B&H for a pre-built turnkey assembly. Learning curve is simple as long as you're serious about the application's seriousness. There are some important pre-mx sort of things you need to make sure you do to insure safety of flight within reason. Google and YT is your friend. Just be realistic about the application.
I built and flew RC aircraft as a kid. As an adult, I tried RC helicopters but never had a flight that did not end in crash and gave it up. Recently, I flew a DJI and was pretty impressed with its bang for the buck.

Back