For the road camera backpack

SurferLucas

Southern Gentleman
OMG, a BACKPACK!!!111one! I'll be highly unprofessional and people will whisper about it in the airport, ZOMG!

Now that that's out of the way, for those who are on the road constantly and want to carry your nice camera/laptop/iPad/etc...what do you use? Currently trying to decide what type of backpack to get to replace my current SwissArmy one, something with a dedicated camera compartment/protection.

I have a Canon 60D with battery grip, 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens', 15in laptop and iPad4 that I typically carry on trips...in addition to cords/chargers/etc.

Looking right now at the Kata DR-467i (http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-467i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B003036CTC)
Lowepro 16L AW (http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP364...=UTF8&qid=1407354654&sr=1-96&keywords=lowepro)
Lowepro Fastpack 350 (http://www.glazerscamera.com/store/lowepro-fastpack-350-black.html)

Thoughts? Insight? Equipment you're currently using?

Check out brightline bags. They aren't backpacks but they have a ton of space and you can build them for your specific needs.

I'd personally try to find something via Timbuk2 or Crumpler. I've had my timbuk2 bag for years and it's survived with no problems. I think Crumpler has more combi backpacks (place for laptop and camera gear) but I could be mistaken.

I have the Lowepro Fastpack (although a slightly older version than the one you have tagged). It's great for fitting everything in and fits on my rolling bag handle really well. The one downside is that's it's not very comfortable to wear on my back (not when in uniform obviously) because of the laptop sleeve.

Just don't use a camera gear brand backpack to travel to 3rd world countries...as far as on the job, I don't see why it is unprofessional, in South-America a lot of pilots use backpacks, it`s also very popular in countries where pilots commute to work with public transportation.

The new ClikElite Obscura30 has a laptop sleeve. You can fit TONS (way too much) crap in that bag along with your camera gear. I have their older version and the Timbuk2 snoop.

Both bags have lots if great camera carrying features and don't scream I HAVE REALLY EXPENSIVE CAMERA GEAR IN HERE!!!!

I have that crappy canon backpack. I have no problems with it except for the fact that it does say canon and invites people to steal your stuff.

You can test drive my mountain smith pack if you'd like. I'm probably looking for something different here soon.

Ooh good timing on the thread, I've been looking for a backpack (won't wear it in uniform) for non-rev travels & city escapes. I've had a bajillion camera bags and usually take my Timbuk2 messenger when traveling but have grown tired of the weight of the bag on one shoulder. So I'm also searching for an ultimate bag that mixes everyday use (rain jacket, phone, book, etc. storage) and has actual camera gear carrying functionality. And bonus points if it doesn't scream "steam me!". Here are my general requirements which seem in line with most folks...

- comfy (padded shoulder straps, chest and/or waist belt)
- stealthy (no advertising to "steal me I contain expensive cameras!")
- good number of pockets for organization
- side or quick camera compartment access
- weather resistant or integrated pack cover a plus
- big enough camera compartment for one body w/ lens, usually 1 or 2 spare lenses, batteries, filters, etc.
- external straps for tripod when needed
- other stuff carried is usually -> rain jacket, small umbrella, bottle of water, sunscreen, etc.

Currently own the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 which I've used on many occasions and really like it for outdoor adventures. Though I'm not sold on it being my non-rev adventure bag necessarily as it's a little too light in construction and lacks on storage for extra goodies.

So far I've found the following packs that might seem to fit the bill:

Timbuk2 Sleuth - great looking pack, but dislike that the tripod mount would cover up access to the zippers on the back pockets. Might be a touch small too.

Vanguard Sedona 51 - actually have this one on the way from B&H, so we'll see how I like it. It seems to check off most of my list.

Dakine Sequence - I dig the aesthetics and the storage cube seems to have plenty of space. Not sure how much extra storage for other goodies though.

Loka UL - expensive, but really rad pack it seems. Smaller version of the popular Loka but might be overkill I'm afraid.

Manfrotto Prolight - also expensive, but I'd like to see it up close.

Yeah just looked that up, looks sweet though. Does it fit in most overheads? Camera bags are like potato chips...

I use a Calvin Klein backpack I got at Marshall's for like $30. No complaints at all, actually use it for work and traveling too as I can still stuff in a few days worth of clothes with the camera stuff/laptop in it...and still fit in in RJ bins. :)

I use a Calvin Klein backpack I got at Marshall's for like $30. No complaints at all, actually use it for work and traveling too as I can still stuff in a few days worth of clothes with the camera stuff/laptop in it...and still fit in in RJ bins. :)
Is that your tripod too?

Back