Sigh...

A150K

Me: So Chen, let's say your pitot tube has iced up and you notice the ASI has gone to 0 in cruise. Is there any corrective action you can take from the cockpit?

Him: Uhhhhhhhh.........Carb Heat!!!!! (Big smile on face).

Me: *sigh* get out your Instrument Flying Handbook...

Last edited:
Have Chen touch the pitot tube during preflight with the pitot heat switched on. He'll never forget what that switch does. Not that it's going to matter when Chen is an A320 F/O in six months but it's the thought that counts.

Have Chen touch the pitot tube during preflight with the pitot heat switched on. He'll never forget what that switch does. Not that it's going to matter when Chen is an A320 F/O in six months but it's the thought that counts.

I like your style, cowboy!

Me: So Chen, let's say your pitot tube has iced up and you notice the ASI has gone to 0 in cruise. Is there any corrective action you can take from the cockpit?

Him: Uhhhhhhhh.........Carb Heat!!!!! (Big smile on face).

Me: *sigh* get out your Instrument Flying Handbook...
I'll sigh along with you.
That's the kind of answer I got from CFI candidates.
"Greatest" answer to question:
What are the weights for on a CE172RG aileron?

Counteract left turning tendencies! :-(

Filed a complaint against me for failing him.

Me: "How is the fuel delivered to the cylinders in this airplane?"

Student: Stares at giant cockpit poster on the wall with "carb heat" lever plainly visible.

Student: "It's fuel injected."

Me: "Then why do we have carb heat? (points to poster)"

Student: "I've been wondering that myself."

Me: "How is the fuel delivered to the cylinders in this airplane?"

Student: Stares at giant cockpit poster on the wall with "carb heat" lever plainly visible.

Student: "It's fuel injected."

Me: "Then why do we have carb heat? (points to poster)"

Student: "I've been wondering that myself."

Wait. What? Was the student just not aware that the poster represented a different aircraft?

It was a ground lesson on an airplane new to the student. I grabbed the cockpit poster to use for reference. I'd asked the student to review the AFM and systems and, surprise, they did not. The student had not flown anything previous with a carburetor so it didn't click at first.

It was a ground lesson on an airplane new to the student. I grabbed the cockpit poster to use for reference. I'd asked the student to review the AFM and systems and, surprise, they did not. The student had not flown anything previous with a carburetor so it didn't click at first.

Ah. Makes sense now.

There was a student at my school who was famous for gaffes like that in his CFI training. He's flying for a regional now.

I'll play.

Pilot loads his 182 full to the top of the rear window with bags. Starts loading his wife (170lbs), his son (200lbs), his sons girlfriend (100lb hottie), and himself in the airplane. WX at the time was zero wind, 90% humidity, and 98°.

Me: "Have you checked your fuel planning, is it ok?"
Him: "Oh yeah, I have LOTS of fuel!" (smiles excitedly with a huge emphasis on "LOTS")
Me: "Yeah, thats the problem"

I've never seen someone use 3000' of runway in a 182 before.

Man, I would never pass a non-121 checkride to save my life.
'
The 172RG has aileron counterweights? :)

I had two type rating check rides in the last 12 months and I know that the A330 has big engines, not so big on the A320 because it's a smaller airplane. I know this because the number on the placard is significantly lower on the A320 and well, it carries less fuel which I assume is Jet A because it smells like dad's breaking out the Kingsford to grill some sweet, delicious BBQ ribs.

Man, I would never pass a non-121 checkride to save my life.
'
The 172RG has aileron counterweights? :)

I had two type rating check rides in the last 12 months and I know that the A330 has big engines, not so big on the A320 because it's a smaller airplane. I know this because the number on the placard is significantly lower on the A320 and well, it carries less fuel which I assume is Jet A because it smells like dad's breaking out the Kingsford to grill some sweet, delicious BBQ ribs.
You got it!

SIGH!!!!

"Green means its okay!" (actual quote from an instructor during systems class)

See, I would say something like this because I'm a wiseass (you can totally say ass here) and most of the CFIs I work with appreciate my nuanced sense of humor and razor-sharp wit.

I would not do this on a checkride.

I had a student threaten to sue the school because I wouldn't sign him off for a cfi check ride.

I had him plan a vfr xc(to teach), about 100nm in a twin. He factored in 0 degrees variation because he "didn't cross any isotonic lines" and the total fuel burn was 2.5 gallons. I took a glance and told him the number was off, about 10 minutes later he came laughing in

"Haha yeah, I was WAY off, we'll burn closer to 4 gallons, 3.7"

I wish this was an exaggeration

I had a student threaten to sue the school because I wouldn't sign him off for a cfi check ride.

Dork! :)

If I had a dime for every time someone threatened to sue me about something, I could afford an attorney to sue them back.

Dork! :)

If I had a dime for every time someone threatened to sue me about something, I could afford an attorney to sue them back.

Really. You guys are flight instructors. What in the hell could they possibly take from you? A couple of hundred bucks and the knee board? Some packages of Ramen?

Really. You guys are flight instructors. What in the hell could they possibly take from you? A couple of hundred bucks and the knee board? Some packages of Ramen?

Exactly.

Threatening to sue a CFI is as fruitless as… well, sorry, I can't think of anything. That's about as idiotic as it gets.

Back