Performance question for BE400 drivers

Baronpilot244

Killick Stoker
This summer we've been operating in and out of high elevation fields such as EGE, GUC, SEZ, FLG and the list goes on.
Anyone who flies the Bitchjet knows it doesn't like high and hot if you want to put any pax or fuel on it.

One of our owners is wanting to go to EGE and is in a pout because, in my opinion, we can't come out of there with 7/8 pax on board.

I've pored over the AFM and run APG but at this time of year the airplane is severely limited. I want to make sure I'm giving the owner the best possible info. My plan is to come out with as little fuel as possible to hop over to Centennial or Gunnison and gas up. There is no way I would put 8 passengers on and attempt to come out of EGE - its scary enough coming out empty, especially off Rwy 25!

I've worked out that 4 pax and minimum fuel to get to Centennial is about it, as long as the temp is 10'C or less.

Thoughts and opinions please? This is a 91 trip but as we all know what may be legal ain't always safe....

Bp244

10C is pretty cool for this time of year. Early morning or late evening departure?

For sure, I think early morning would most likely be the only window.

I was there last week around 3pm and only just got out of there empty (numbers wise) to go to BJC with a legal fuel reserve.

Bp244

You still have to meet the 1.6% climb gradient, part 91 as well.

If you're not comfortable, don't do it.

Have all the pax meet you in APA and come out if EGE min fuel if necessary.

Good thought - I'm going to put this in front of the owner as a second option.

Bp244

IMS, a lot of days we could do 2 and bags to APA and that was the end of the story out of ASE. Can't remember EGE, but that sounds about right to me. Show the owner the book numbers, then explain to him what they mean. If he's got a problem after that, he should find a newer, stupider pilot.

Back