What's better in your opinion?

Bonanzaman

1) A steady job with decent pay and a regular schedule flying single engine piston with opportunities on days off to build ME turbine time, do contract jobs, but also miss turbine contract gigs to fly the steady gig. Build time fast and have more opportunities for contract gigs in 9 months.

2) Irregular contract flying multi engine turbine making 2.5x more than job 1 the days you do fly, but no guarantees. Not all time is loggable but possibly much more money.

3) Steady regular gig making the same as job 1 but all turbine and soon jet, no opportunity for contract gigs. Set schedule and less freedom than contract flying would be, but more secure.

I know this is a complicated hypothetical, just interested in some different opinions.

Steady money > contracting.

Set schedule is da bomb as well.

Jet time is meh. Turbine is turbine. If you can fly a king it you can fly a jet. Go for good QOL and steady pay, build quality experience.

I think it depends on what your needs and responsibilities are - I've been a contract pilot, although now I'm salaried. Do what you enjoy - enjoy what you do....

I make good money and I fly a nice shiny jeeeeeeeeeeet, but my schedule is far from set :/
My prior job was flying a King Air part 91 and my schedule was set out 4 weeks in advance - however I made roughly half what I do now.

Just my 0.02c

Bp244

Steady money > contracting.

Set schedule is da bomb as well.

Jet time is meh. Turbine is turbine. If you can fly a king it you can fly a jet. Go for good QOL and steady pay, build quality experience.

The only advantage of getting jet time I meant to imply is that it might help having time in type for future jobs that pay better than most king air jobs. For the same pay I could care less if I'm in a 172 or a Lear.

I think it depends on what your needs and responsibilities are - I've been a contract pilot, although now I'm salaried. Do what you enjoy - enjoy what you do....

I make good money and I fly a nice shiny jeeeeeeeeeeet, but my schedule is far from set :/
My prior job was flying a King Air part 91 and my schedule was set out 4 weeks in advance - however I made roughly half what I do now.

Just my 0.02c

Bp244

Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna be where I'm at for another 9 months but I'm hearing positive talk about a 135 charter place and also know someone who manages several airplanes that are flying every day and paying well. Missing out on big pay for easy days to work my regular job is kind of a tough pill to swallow, but I did make a commitment to put in a year with them.

Doing the contract thing...there's a chance of making way more than I would doing the 135 thing, but it's just that, a chance, at the end of the day, not a ton of security there.

Also I don't even have a resume in at the 135 place, but I know several people there who want me to, and I have done some contracting for them already. I could be doing more but like I said the job I have now comes first. I probably shouldn't even be worrying about this now but ideas are running around my brain.

Basically nothing is happening for a while but I wanted to get some unbiased input and I appreciate you guys' perspective.

Back