Printing your E Logbook

USMCmech

I know that this has been covered before, but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for printing a logbook from Excel? I transferred my logbook into excel last year and I want to have a better presentation than my chicken scratch in my hard copy.

You *could* simply format it correctly in Excel so it prints like a regular logbook but that would be a pain.

Honestly, easiest solution is to just get Logbook Pro and LogTen Pro, export your excel as a CSV and import it in to the software and print. There may be one of the "free" logbooks out there that allows you to do the same thing but I don't know.

What we do at work is take the excel export (from our company flight logging program), shrink it down with the zoom function to print to the right size for our logbooks (no idea what it is for FAA logbooks since they are a different size), then print on sticky backed paper from somewhere like office depot/wal mart/etc. Cut with a paper cutter, and paste it onto your pages. I'd guess this would work for most e-logbooks

I set up a recurring header for the top where it just says things like date, n-number, route of flight, etc. $1:$2

Logbook entries started in row 3

Then about every 25 lines (depending on how your margins are set up determines how many rows you can get on a page) I inserted 3 summation rows, first row being time carried forward, second line total this page and third row total time.

Then set every row that had a flight entry to fall inside the Set Print Area

Use the page break preview to break the page after each set summation rows.

So a lot more work but once it's setup you just keep expanding the print area and setting the page breaks to accommodate the additional entries.

I had about 100 pages of logbook entries before I switched to logbook pro. Had to delete all the summation rows then Exported to csv and imported to log book pro.

I did something similar to woodreau, and formatted it like a jepp professional logbook:

logbook.png

Once I had it set up, I just copy and pasted the previous page and adjusted the inputs. It looks decent bound on green paper from Fedex Office, but next time I'll print it on thicker paper. It was "quick" relative to putting 3500 hrs/230 pages in manually, but in retrospect I should have just used logbook pro.

I did something similar to woodreau, and formatted it like a jepp professional logbook:

View attachment 26512
Once I had it set up, I just copy and pasted the previous page and adjusted the inputs. It looks decent bound on green paper from Fedex Office, but next time I'll print it on thicker paper. It was "quick" relative to putting 3500 hrs/230 pages in manually, but in retrospect I should have just used logbook pro.
Nice job. Mine is in MS-Access (in additon to the one online) and I have a similar-looking report

I printed and binded mine all nice for my last interview and they never even looked at it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Anyone know if you can merge an old and new logbook pro file? Here's my situation: I have most of my stuff on a logbook pro backup on my old computer, which I won't have access to for 4 more months. I don't want to have to wait to put all my flights in at once when I get it back, so can I start a new folder and merge it with my old one when I get home? Thanks for any info.

Probably of little or no value to you but, looking forward to a DIY answer here, (which I don't have) my guess is you could get the company to merge them for you.

I've tried to copy and paste rows between files with no success.

Anyone know if you can merge an old and new logbook pro file? Here's my situation: I have most of my stuff on a logbook pro backup on my old computer, which I won't have access to for 4 more months. I don't want to have to wait to put all my flights in at once when I get it back, so can I start a new folder and merge it with my old one when I get home? Thanks for any info.
I know it won't help you know but I'd recommend storing you backups in a cloud based service such as google drive or dropbox.

I know it won't help you know but I'd recommend storing you backups in a cloud based service such as google drive or dropbox.

Yeah I have one on my computer and external hard drive backup, neither of which are accessible for a while but I will definitely do that as well once I have the opportunity. Thanks.

Probably of little or no value to you but, looking forward to a DIY answer here, (which I don't have) my guess is you could get the company to merge them for you.

I've tried to copy and paste rows between files with no success.

Bummer, thanks.

Yeah I have one on my computer and external hard drive backup, neither of which are accessible for a while but I will definitely do that as well once I have the opportunity. Thanks.
But to be more useful to you, keep logging the time in a new file. Then Export it as a .CSV. Open old Logbook File and import and select append.

But to be more useful to you, keep logging the time in a new file. Then Export it as a .CSV. Open old Logbook File and import and select append.

Every month or so I email myself my logbook backup file in gmail, and then move it to folder just for those. Seems relatively safe.

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll bump this one.

Anybody using flightlogg.in and printing from there? I have a backup saved as both a .csv and a pdf, but the PDF doesn't show totals at the bottom, just flights.

Back