Article on the state of things...

Polar742

All the responsibility none of the authority
It's SLOWLY starting to leak out.

Great read for those of you thinking on doing this career. I'm not discouraging, but knowing is half the battle...

http://m.nbcnews.com/travel/just-doesnt-fly-some-airline-pilots-barely-make-living-wage-8C11022539

A portrait of these hourly pay scales becomes even more pathetic when you consider that regional airline pilots, who are paid only from the time the airline leaves the gate to the time it arrives at the destination, only are on the clock on average about 21.5 hours per week.

For a first-year co-pilot at Republic Airlines, for example, that translates into gross weekly pay of a mere $495 per week.

For a pilot with 10 years’ experience at SkyWest, the weekly gross paycheck might be around $1,312.

But, then you have to consider that these wages don’t nearly reflect the hours that regional airline co-pilots and pilots have to put into the job.

Although they may only be on the clock 21.5 hours per week or 85 hours per month,” pilots typically are away from base, and from their families, about 240 to 300 hours per month (or about 60 to 75 hours a week),” according to the Airline Pilots Association.

I know its been mentioned here but for the life of me cannot remember.....What is the average (or limit) if you will of flying hours (not time away from home) that one can expect?

I know its been mentioned here but for the life of me cannto remember.....What is the average if you will of flying hours (not tme away from home) that one can expect?

I'm not well qualified to comment, but every regional guy I've ever talked to, no matter what airline, has always said that you'd better plan for guarantee, as the overtime Gods are fickle. That certainly squares with my experiences in other lines of work...

edit: I think that's generally around 70 hours. Give or take a bit.

I know its been mentioned here but for the life of me cannot remember.....What is the average (or limit) if you will of flying hours (not time away from home) that one can expect?

Budget on guarantee as @Boris Badenov said. For every airline. It's very easy to tell who does & doesn't as well... Sometimes it's extraordinarily difficult to do, especially the first couple years, or after an involuntary pay cut due to bankruptcy or downgrades...

Stay married to your first wife, don't start a side business, and don't commute are the three golden rules of being an airline pilot and finances.
Why no side business? Besides the annoyance of hearing about the other guys side business all trip.

Word to the wise.......

Keep it on the tracks gentlemen.......!

Why no side business? Besides the annoyance of hearing about the other guys side business all trip.

I was told that by the number (about) 25 seniority wise guy at the place I am at, who was told by the number 4 seniority wise guy at the place I am at when he was a new hire.

I guess more guys lose money than make money on them.

Last edited:
I only ever want to fly to guarantee anyway. I guess I'm lazy. Oh, and the 95-credit-hour months this summer wear you down in a hurry, too.

The best advice is always free, because it's obvious. Might as well offer "don't get hit by a bus", "don't get laid off", or "don't crash". Which, by the way, you might do at any moment, because we're all equally incompetent, save for the grace and wisdom of F/Os on the internet!
I dunno, all sounds like pretty good advice to me. The Old Man offered the same bits of advice, and he has more time in reverse than you and I combined have aviation experience. ;)

I dunno, all sounds like pretty good advice to me. The Old Man offered the same bits of advice, and he has more time in reverse than you and I combined have aviation experience. ;)

Dollars to donuts he told you not to play in traffic, too, didn't he? And we all know how that worked out. We've got the video.

Giving advice like "don't get divorced" is sort of akin to the placard I once saw on an experimental, somewhere; "Don't do anything stupid". It's right, sure, but it's not what you'd call Useful.

Dollars to donuts he told you not to play in traffic, too, didn't he? And we all know how that worked out. We've got the video.

Giving advice like "don't get divorced" is sort of akin to the placard I once saw on an experimental, somewhere; "Don't do anything stupid". It's right, sure, but it's not what you'd call Useful.
It's also not something that you have 100% control over. In life, sometimes you have to roll a hard six. It's still good advice, but if you think you're in control...well, I have news for ya! :D

Back