Test pilots

sr71

I recently received a slot for OTS. I'm still waiting on a waiver, but I have no doubt that I will be attending UPT for the Air Force. My ultimate goal is to be a test pilot. My question is, how do I get to this goal? What should I do to help me along the way? Whats the path to this goal (OTS, UPT, then what)?

Thanks

I recently received a slot for OTS. I'm still waiting on a waiver, but I have no doubt that I will be attending UPT for the Air Force. My ultimate goal is to be a test pilot. My question is, how do I get to this goal? What should I do to help me along the way? Whats the path to this goal (OTS, UPT, then what)?

Thanks

What is your undergrad degree in?

Don't worry about TPS yet. Focus your energy on kicking ass in OTS and then UPT. After two years in your aircraft, ask around to see what test pilots really do. Also, there's other test flying out there that doesn't require going to TPS. Much of it is pretty damn cool.

On the dark side, as a TPS grad, you may end up spending the middle years of your career as a program manager in some bureaucracy factory vice using your aviation prowess to lay hate on the enemies of America.

It's going to be a long process so don't get ahead of yourself. For starters do well in training, then in your MWS. Upgrade quickly and make it known to your commander that it's something you're interested in. Check all the necessary boxes and go to weapons school if possible. Also, having a background in engineering will help. If you can do all that without ass kissing, back stabbing, or becoming a complete D-bag, then apply when the opportunity arises and see what happens.

Just as a disclaimer, don't get too caught up in what you think a test pilot is or does (same goes for just any AF pilot) and try to find out what is really expected. Take Hook's advice above and keep an open mind. The reality is probably not what you think it is, be willing to accept that. Oh and you don't have to be a fighter pilot to go to TPS, just FYI. Good luck.

On the dark side, as a TPS grad, you may end up spending the middle years of your career as a program manager in some bureaucracy factory vice using your aviation prowess to lay hate on the enemies of America.

That is exactly what happened to a squadron buddy....ended up in a non flying job after TPS. Left the AF for the Guard. Now is a test pilot for Airbus.

A friend of mine recently finished TPS. Before UPT, he was a developmental engineer in the Air Force, #1 strat on his first two OPRs, went to UPT, Finished in the top three of his class, got first choice in airframe and assignment. After three years in his MWS (meanwhile still producing outstanding OPRs), applied for TPS and was selected.

Back