Navy T-45 Down in Pensacola

I thought ACES II was pretty much standard now. I learned something.
The Navy is still MB country.

T-6 - MB
T-45 - MB
F-35B/C - MB
EA-6B - MB
F-18 - MB
AV-8B - Stencel

F-35A - MB
T-38 - MB
A-10 - ACES
F-15 - ACES
F-16 - ACES
F-22 - ACES
B-1 - ACES
B-2 - ACES

Last edited:
I thought ACES II was pretty much standard now. I learned something.

Certainly I'm happy they got out safely!

NACES is the USN/USMC standard today. SJU-17 (some old lot Hornets still have SJU-7 but those are old -B's and such) is in most all of our jets today. EA-6B still has the old gen GRU(EA)-7, which it shared with the Tomcat (-14 had GRU-7). Funny thing is, while I've ridden a NACES every day for the last 4-5 years, I had no idea it wasn't made by the same people as the ACES, and I thought it was basically the Navy variant of the same seat. We all learned something today :)

NACES is the USN/USMC standard today. SJU-17 (some old lot Hornets still have SJU-7 but those are old -B's and such) is in most all of our jets today. EA-6B still has the old gen GRU(EA)-7, which it shared with the Tomcat (-14 had GRU-7). Funny thing is, while I've ridden a NACES every day for the last 4-5 years, I had no idea it wasn't made by the same people as the ACES, and I thought it was basically the Navy variant of the same seat. We all learned something today :)
If you needed to know, the Marines would have told you.

Now my turn to learn something. WTH are you guys talking about?
There are two main manufacturers of ejection seats for military aircraft, Martin-Baker and UTAS.

UTAS makes the ACES II seat which is primarily seen in AF aircraft, while Navy aircraft have Martin-Baker seats.

The current line of Martin-Baker seats was assigned the acronym, NACES by the Navy. This was a stupid move as it sounded like the UTAS ACES II line.

@///AMG admitted that he thought his NACES seat was a Navy version of the ACES seat.

Last edited:
Back