Master's in Aeronautical Science?

atracnitrix

PODUNK
So I've been playing with the idea of getting a MAS for several years now. I've searched through the threads and some of the info is a bit dated so I'm hoping for some current info. I've heard/read that it can be a good fall back for an aviation related job but will not really do anything for you in a flying sense. Other's have told me it's just an expensive wall decoration. Thoughts???

Get a MBA. MAS not worth the paper it's printed on. MBA is a known quantity in and out of aviation.

If you're just looking for something to enhance your resume for the legacies, any Masters will probably do. But if you also want it to serve as a fallback if aviation doesn't pan out, then I would agree with the poster above about getting the MBA instead.

So I've been playing with the idea of getting a MAS for several years now. I've searched through the threads and some of the info is a bit dated so I'm hoping for some current info. I've heard/read that it can be a good fall back for an aviation related job but will not really do anything for you in a flying sense. Other's have told me it's just an expensive wall decoration. Thoughts???

This degree may be specifically designed for military folks who need an advanced degree for promotion purposes...

...I've found my MBA classes to be rewarding even though I already have the Masters box checked.

Whatever your undergraduate degree is in, you are probably 50-75% towards an undergraduate degree in engineering. I would think that would return more on your investment than most masters degrees, certainly an MAS.

If it's through ERAU, I wouldn't waste your time.

That said, I was on the road to an MBA with ASU and Penn State until about a week ago. I met with some folks in the safety realm and they were very persuasive in highlighting the need for aviation safety folks with the academic and operational experience, it also helps I am a meteorologist. However, I was made aware of FIT's Master's in aviation safety program. IF you want to study something in aviation, find a specialized field to study rather than an all encompassing "basket" degree. Granted, this will be my second graduate degree with my first not in an aviation arena (strategic communications).

Good luck to you.

Whatever your undergraduate degree is in, you are probably 50-75% towards an undergraduate degree in engineering. I would think that would return more on your investment than most masters degrees, certainly an MAS.
It's a BS in Aeronautical Science but I've also been leaning toward an Aeronautical Engineering degree. I figured that combo would really help a lad out.

If it's through ERAU, I wouldn't waste your time.

That said, I was on the road to an MBA with ASU and Penn State until about a week ago. I met with some folks in the safety realm and they were very persuasive in highlighting the need for aviation safety folks with the academic and operational experience, it also helps I am a meteorologist. However, I was made aware of FIT's Master's in aviation safety program. IF you want to study something in aviation, find a specialized field to study rather than an all encompassing "basket" degree. Granted, this will be my second graduate degree with my first not in an aviation arena (strategic communications).

Good luck to you.

I would agree that a Master's in Safety or Aviation Safety could be a good path to take if you are interested in aviation related fields as a fall back plan. I have been looking at getting a Master's for the last few years and safety is probably what I will do. About 1 to 2 years out from having the time to start.

TP

I'm at a crossroad right now. I plan on flying but I would also like a fall back plan and possibly a career in the space sector of things.

Well working in airport management, I can say that for my field, I think MBA+flying experience would be more valuable than MAS+flying experience. Without flight experience, I'd say the MAS was more valuable. Granted, I work in the marketing/business management side. Might be different for someone in the Ops arena - in fact, it probably is.

Now that being said, MAS from Riddle is probably more valuable than MBA from Devry, so it matters where you get it too.

May come down to ease of acquiring the degree. Many online MBA programs, not sure about MAS. But the good news is having a Masters in anything gives you a noticeable advantage in the hiring process.

What is a Masters in "Aero Science"? Is it any more meaningful in content than the Bachelor's version? If you just want to have a Masters degree for the sake of having one, ie a check in the box somewhere, then by all means. If you are looking to actually expand your skill set, I doubt this is anything to look seriously at.

What is a Masters in "Aero Science"? Is it any more meaningful in content than the Bachelor's version? If you just want to have a Masters degree for the sake of having one, ie a check in the box somewhere, then by all means. If you are looking to actually expand your skill set, I doubt this is anything to look seriously at.
Duly noted. Thanks for the opinion.

Get a MBA. MAS not worth the paper it's printed on. MBA is a known quantity in and out of aviation.

You're painting a broad brush without stats or facts to back up your opinion. I happen to have an MAS and it has done.....well...okay, it hasn't done jack squat for me :)

Back