What are my chances??

sky_high

I am looking to apply to the regionals but I was in an accident and charged with reckless driving earlier this year. The court ended up withholding adjudication of guilt so there was no official conviction and my attorney said that I can legally check "no" if asked about convictions on a job app. I am wondering how this would play out in the regional application and interview process.

I don't have anything else on my record except two speeding tickets from 6 and 9 years ago. My airmen record is squeaky clean except for two checkride busts. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You won't know until you apply. And you may have some explaining to do, too, but I'd say apply now, worry later.

Edit: United wants to know the following:
** ANSWER THIS QUESTION HONESTLY, WHETHER OR NOT YOU BELIEVE YOU PRESENTLY SHOW A CONVICTION ON YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD AND WHETHER OR NOT YOUR LAWYER TOLD YOU SOMETHING WOULD NOT COUNT.
Have you:
A) Ever been convicted or is there now pending against you a misdemeanor or felony (civil or military charge);
B) Received deferred adjudication (even if your case was later dismissed);
C) Been part of any sort of diversion program in lieu of a conviction (even if your case was later dismissed);
OR
D) Paid a fine/ performed community service/ served any jail time?
I just looked at our addendum on AirlineApps and we don't have something to that effect. Generally speaking the only surefire way to not get hired is to lie and/or enhance the truth about it, though.

anyone else think that this might be the same SkyHigh from APC...doing an uber troll?

just apply and see bro!

Is there a citation for reckless driving on your driving record? No? Then based on my experiences in regional interviews, the company won't know about it. I haven't interviewed at every regional out there, so there may be a regional that'll ask. Get the interview gouge on the places you want to work. The gouge may answer your questions. Find pilots who have recently been hired at you target airline. Take them out for drinks and learn from their experiences. And keep asking questions here on JC. We're happy to help.

You won't know until you apply. And you may have some explaining to do, too, but I'd say apply now, worry later.

Edit: United wants to know the following:

I just looked at our addendum on AirlineApps and we don't have something to that effect. Generally speaking the only surefire way to not get hired is to lie and/or enhance the truth about it, though.

I did have to pay a fine. I also had to pay a fine once for a seat belt ticket 8 years ago.

Is there a citation for reckless driving on your driving record? No? Then based on my experiences in regional interviews, the company won't know about it. I haven't interviewed at every regional out there, so there may be a regional that'll ask. Get the interview gouge on the places you want to work. The gouge may answer your questions. Find pilots who have recently been hired at you target airline. Take them out for drinks and learn from their experiences. And keep asking questions here on JC. We're happy to help.

I believe it is on my driving record but I'm looking at getting my record sealed if that helps.

Yeah, and:

In the interview, don't try to lawyer your way out of it.

Get a copy of your "National Driving Record" as they're going to pull that for sure.

Also, obtain a copy of your driving record in each state you had an infraction in.

You don't want to be that guy pulled out of ground school.

Do not lie or mislead on an application.

Get a copy of your "National Driving Record" as they're going to pull that for sure.

Also, obtain a copy of your driving record in each state you had an infraction in.

Court records too. According to the DOT and NDR, I'm an angel. The court records show a "dismissed" citation for speeding from 2002 :D

Last edited:
My airline interview went like this.

"How's your driving record?"

"Two speeding tickets and a carpool lane violation, all in the last 12 months."

Got the job. Nailed it!

Was it alcohol related "reckless driving"? Or just driving fast or whatever? Either way, I've seen airline pilots with worse but the latter is much easier to explain in the interview.

Was it alcohol related "reckless driving"? Or just driving fast or whatever? Either way, I've seen airline pilots with worse but the latter is much easier to explain in the interview.
No it was not alcohol related. I lost control and ran into a truck. I have no problem owning up to it in an interview, but I just wasn't sure if it was a deal breaker or not.

No it was not alcohol related. I lost control and ran into a truck. I have no problem owning up to it in an interview, but I just wasn't sure if it was a deal breaker or not.
Well I can tell you for sure that your chances are zero until you apply.

You speak the truth.

I had a friend that was flying the line and they pulled him and let him go.

That is pretty easy to explain, you said it.. just tell them: 'I lost control and hit a truck.' It happens.

Back