Is "Leftseat.com" a scam?

dave64056

Doc,

I've been informed by AME's to look into Leftseat.com. I don't have a disqualifying medical condition, or am taking any disqualifying medication yet they (Leftseat.com) stated my medication would result in special issuance and would be a significant obstacle when applying for a medical. Obviously, this is not true as my AME has stated my condition is absolutely no obstacle and with documented paperwork, I would be issued a medical without special issuance. Also, why would I pay someone to tell me if a medical condition is disqualifying when I can contact my AME?

Their response looked like a "canned" message like it was written before I emailed them, and when I replied back I got an email from an R.N that my condition "most likely is disqualifying". Go to this link and submit a qualifying medication and they will most likely tell you it's disqualifying:

http://www.leftseat.com/medications.htm

The FAA Flight Surgeons in Oklahoma think otherwise, that my medication is no issue at all.

What do you think?

They are in the business of making money from pilots who are afraid of the FAA system. No worse than the other companies out there that do the same thing. They all rely on the mistaken impression that many AME's don't have the time or interest to be familiar with the FAA guidelines and that pilots think the FAA is out to get them.

They are in the business of making money from pilots who are afraid of the FAA system. No worse than the other companies out there that do the same thing. They all rely on the mistaken impression that many AME's don't have the time or interest to be familiar with the FAA guidelines and that pilots think the FAA is out to get them.

Certainly agree. AME's are willing to help IF you provide the documentation and willing to possibly do extra test.

Hi Dave,

My AME referred me to leftseat several years ago to get help with paperwork needed by my AME. It was help that i definately needed at that time. After reading your email, I went to the link which you posted. The response I got did not indicate my medicine or condition was disqualifying. Their remarks are below:

"Thank you for your inquiry to Pilot Medical Solutions (www.leftseat.com).
Your practice FAA medical application reveals no significant obstacles to certification. You may have a condition which requires documentation prior to certification (see:www.leftseat.com/conditions.htm)...." If I had to guess, I would say that their lawyers make them use hedge words just in case someone doesn't tell the whole story.

Their website has a list of medications which the FAA approves: https://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm
Some of the meds are listed as "case by case basis".

Perhaps the medication which you listed is one of those which is sometimes ok sometimes not ok or maybe it's ok for one person but not another. Like the Afrin inhaler I carry in my flight bag. The FAA doesn't want me taking it every day but it is ok if I needed it to unclog at altitude.

I think the guys at leftseat are trying to "confidentially" help pilots identify or prepare for issues that "might" be disqualifying.
You don't have to register or pay anything to get information. It seems to me that is a good idea vs showing up to my AME if I am not prepared, or worse that I would be denied.

Doc,

I've been informed by AME's to look into Leftseat.com. I don't have a disqualifying medical condition, or am taking any disqualifying medication yet they (Leftseat.com) stated my medication would result in special issuance and would be a significant obstacle when applying for a medical. Obviously, this is not true as my AME has stated my condition is absolutely no obstacle and with documented paperwork, I would be issued a medical without special issuance. Also, why would I pay someone to tell me if a medical condition is disqualifying when I can contact my AME?

Their response looked like a "canned" message like it was written before I emailed them, and when I replied back I got an email from an R.N that my condition "most likely is disqualifying". Go to this link and submit a qualifying medication and they will most likely tell you it's disqualifying:

The FAA Flight Surgeons in Oklahoma think otherwise, that my medication is no issue at all.

What do you think?
Doc,

What do you think?

Back