Pt 135 cross country time...again

Ajax

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know this comes up often, but I searched and couldn't find something that directly addressed my question, and I've been totaling up my time in logbook pro(which is a nightmare for entering a lot of flight time in detail). So, here it goes:

I know that for the purpose of a certificate or rating a cross country must be 50NM+ with a landing, and 50nm+ with no landing required for ATP. Cross country by definition is just a flight from one airport to another in which a landing took place.

61.1(b)(3)
Cross-country timemeans—
(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (ii) through (vi) of this definition, time acquired during flight—
(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;
(B) Conducted in an aircraft;
(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and
(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
So, my question is do you personally have to land, or does the flight have to land (ex: student lands and you do not)?

Furthermore, during my instrument training I saw that a few times I didn't even log a landing, when we went to 2 other airports aside from our departure point because my instructor at the time told me that once you have your 3 in 90 days logging landings is irrelevant unless it's night or 50NM+. I know I landed at the vast majority of these airports. So since I didn't log a landing, then those won't count.

As instructors, how do you log your landings? Any landing with a student, any landing you personally did, or any landing when you feared for your life and took control on landing.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, like I said I looked and couldn't find it. But, I'm trying to see if I have the pt 135 xtry time to move on and don't want to screw it up.

The approach I use is to follow 61.57 (sole manipulator of controls) for landings. If I'm not the one making the landing, I don't log it, but if I have to go for the controls (or I'm just demonstrating a landing), it gets logged. Given that I've never seen a job application ask how many landings I've done, I'm pretty sure that most employers (and the FAA) generally don't pay much attention to landings outside of the 90 day passenger currency.

As for the XC definition, I don't think the FAA really cares about who made the landings for flight instructors. If you're acting as PIC (which is usually the case for instructional flights) and the airplane lands at another airport, you can probably log it as XC time (I kept separate totals for 50+nm XC and "point to point" XC), even if you didn't personally land the airplane.

A further question is: who is going scrutinize that XC time for any practical purpose?

I remember this being brought up for my Ameriflight paperwork. I had a metric crap ton of XC time, but I don't recall anyone going over my time with any scrutiny. This is not to suggest a pencil whip, but for all intents and purposes, you were the pilot ultimately responsible for an airplane safely navigating whatever distance whether you landed or not or whether you were the sole manipulator of the controls or not.

A further question is: who is going scrutinize that XC time for any practical purpose?

I remember this being brought up for my Ameriflight paperwork. I had a metric crap ton of XC time, but I don't recall anyone going over my time with any scrutiny. This is not to suggest a pencil whip, but for all intents and purposes, you were the pilot ultimately responsible for an airplane safely navigating whatever distance whether you landed or not or whether you were the sole manipulator of the controls or not.

Thanks, that's the exact reason I ask. Since I recently hit 135 IFR minimums I am thinking of throwing some apps out, and I would feel terribly ashamed if I was DQed because of a mistake on my part with regard to how these are logged. My logbook isn't perfect, but I have spent countless hours pouring over my logbook and setting the electronic up to minimize as many mix ups as possible.

Back