Great Lakes getting creative...!?

CRJDriver

Posted on another board...

< Great Lakes plan for the future consists of obtaining a Part 135 operating certificate and operating a portion of our flights under scheduled 135 rules.

These rules limit passengers to 9, but they will allow Great Lakes to hire First Officers who do not meet the new "1500 hour/ ATP" rules.

Company wide, Great Lakes load factors are in the mid 40% range, and that's with about 34 Beech 1900s and 5 Brasilias. Great Lakes plan is to have all captains fully 121 certified, and only a portion of the FOs on the 135 side. All captains would then be able to fly all flights, 121 or 135. The 135 flights will be operated the same as the 121 flights. A release will be produced and we will continue to fully comply with all 121 regs. The only real difference is the flight will be limited to only 9 passengers.

By doing this, Great Lakes will circumvent the difficulty in getting new hire pilots as we will be able to hire 250 hours pilots again. Any pilot hired on very low time will only be able to fly 135 flights until they reach 1500 hours at which point they will be able to fly all flights and all routes.

It is certainly an interesting plan. We will see how it works out. For now, Great Lakes is just waiting for the FAA to grant us the 135 certificate. >

Cape Air has been cleaning up around here in their "antiquated" 402s.

I know. They tried to get into the west coast(Oregon coastal areas specifically), but iirc Seaport underbid them to the point that it wasn't possible to make a profit, sucked up all the local money(EAS and City incentives) and bailed, leaving the communities out a bunch of money and nothing to show for it.

I know. They tried to get into the west coast(Oregon coastal areas specifically), but iirc Seaport underbid them to the point that it wasn't possible to make a profit, sucked up all the local money(EAS and City incentives) and bailed, leaving the communities out a bunch of money and nothing to show for it.
I didn't like Imperial, CA when we went there, but I guarantee you folks would rather ride in the Brasilia than a Caravan, and they'd rather ride to LAX, not SAN/BUR.

Autothrust Blue said:
I didn't like Imperial, CA when we went there, but I guarantee you folks would rather ride in the Brasilia than a Caravan, and they'd rather ride to LAX, not SAN/BUR.

I didn't care for it once we were on the ground but it was nice to have another turn in the LAX system long enough to actually let the wheels stop spinning in the wells before it was time to drop the gear again.

Shhhh don't give management and starry eyed sjs kids any ideas.

Shiny turboprop syndrome is a killer. ;)

I didn't care for it once we were on the ground but it was nice to have another turn in the LAX system long enough to actually let the wheels stop spinning in the wells before it was time to drop the gear again.

Fair enough. I miss SGU more, better layover.

EAS needs to end. Im sorry to those flying those routes, but what an unnecessary drain it is to our broke country.

Tax payers money being wasted so that 9 people max can catch a flight to a hub, instead of driving a few hours to the hub. Remind me where in the Constitution does it refer to air travel as being an inalienable right?

EAS needs to end. Im sorry to those flying those routes, but what an unnecessary drain it is to our broke country.

Tax payers money being wasted so that 9 people max can catch a flight to a hub, instead of driving a few hours to the hub. Remind me where in the Constitution does it refer to air travel as being an inalienable right?
This. Execute the bottom-feeders.

Back