Water Safety, Self Rescue Techniques for Pilots

Looks like some of the stuff they covered in USN water survival class(es). Haven't taken this course, but the (similar) govt training I completed has proven very important for a lot of folks.....hope to never use it however! I'd say anyone who is doing extended overwater flying should absolutely receive some form of this sort of training.

Came across this very nice foundation, they have a nice online manual and offer some real world training at an affordable price.

http://h2o2foundation.org/booklet-self-rescue-for-pilots/#/0

the open ocean course:

http://h2o2foundation.org/?p=1099

I`m planning to take the course in September, anybody on here who did?

I think I had talked to someone about this before, don't remember if it was your or not, though. We do underwater egress/open water survival as part of our seaplane safety course. I think ive been through it three or four times and I would highly recommend any type of open water survival course.

Under water egress was great also. If nothing else you come away with a methodical approach instead of thrashing/flailing around.

I just play with my kids in the pool, with three little creatures trying to choke me out, kick me in the face and stand on me while I'm upside down under water I think I'm water egress trained.

I think I had talked to someone about this before, don't remember if it was your or not, though. We do underwater egress/open water survival as part of our seaplane safety course. I think ive been through it three or four times and I would highly recommend any type of open water survival course.

Under water egress was great also. If nothing else you come away with a methodical approach instead of thrashing/flailing around.

Yeah I think it was me, I was flying mostly over open water and was gonna get my boss to send me for training. How much do you guys charge? and what is the syllabus like? It would actually be better for me to go to LA then CA. you can pm if you don`t wanna post numbers in the thread..I look through old pms can`t find one where you mentioned the price.

Flight safety has something similar.

Yes they do, Embry Riddle offers one also in AZ. Both are $$$$$$$$

What I think it`s interesting about this one is that they take you out in open water, while most other similar courses are done in a pool and mainly oriented to helicopter flying or for bigger planes.

Yeah I think it was me, I was flying mostly over open water and was gonna get my boss to send me for training. How much do you guys charge? and what is the syllabus like? It would actually be better for me to go to LA then CA. you can pm if you don`t wanna post numbers in the thread..I look through old pms can`t find one where you mentioned the price.

Yes they do, Embry Riddle offers one also in AZ. Both are $$$$$$$$

What I think it`s interesting about this one is that they take you out in open water, while most other similar courses are done in a pool and mainly oriented to helicopter flying or for bigger planes.

I don't know the number off the top of my head, but I can PM you Monday when I got back in. Typically you tell us what airplane you're flying and we come up with a customized syllabus for the specific plane and floats. The whole thing I think is 2 or 3 days long. We do the ground/flight portion, and the egress/survival is with a third party.

The egress/survival training is in a pool in a rig that is set up for helicopters, but the training has been adapted to simulate how a seaplane flips over. The open water survival you get on top of that is a great experience also.

'In the event of a water landing....'

Listen, if you're in a seaplane, it's a water landing. Otherwise it's called 'crashing in the ocean'.

I've got to go do a one day course in LA very soon. Not looking forward to it though as I'm not a water fan.

'In the event of a water landing....'

Listen, if you're in a seaplane, it's a water landing. Otherwise it's called 'crashing in the ocean'.

I get the joke, but even a seaplane landing can turn into a crash in the ocean. Theres a reason why we carry survival gear with us when we go out unto the gulf even if we're on floats.

Looks like some of the stuff they covered in USN water survival class(es). Haven't taken this course, but the (similar) govt training I completed has proven very important for a lot of folks.....hope to never use it however! I'd say anyone who is doing extended overwater flying should absolutely receive some form of this sort of training.
It's tried and true training! I was glad I had it when I was in a bind!

It's tried and true training! I was glad I had it when I was in a bind!

Absolutely right it was/is. Every 4 years, it is a good refresh. I will also say that in the last one I did a year or so ago as a refresh, there were very salient lessons learned from recent fleet mishaps. Those guys may have a good shore tour, but they do put in the work to make your 2 days meaningful. In my class was the 2P from the E-2 that went down in the gulf a couple years back (in which the PIC sacrificed himself for the crew)

Back