Transition Glasses in the cockpit?

ComplexHiAv8r

Time for glasses again. Anyone use transition lenses? I had some years ago (as in 1981 or so) and they turned on nicely, but took awhile to turn off. I also wonder with UV protective on some cockpit glass will they even transition. I know of polarized issue on some glass panels (appears to be really bad on LCD screens).

I wear transitions in the cockpit and like them. I haven't had a problem with the speed of darkening or lightening, but that may just mean I've gotten used to them. The UV issue still exists - they don't darken if the windows block UV; not too much of a problem in the typical light GA Plexiglas cockpit, but it's the reason I don't wear them as sunglasses while driving.

Time for glasses again. Anyone use transition lenses? I had some years ago (as in 1981 or so) and they turned on nicely, but took awhile to turn off. I also wonder with UV protective on some cockpit glass will they even transition. I know of polarized issue on some glass panels (appears to be really bad on LCD screens).

I just ordered a new pair of glasses today and opted for the transitions. Now that I'm flying on glass I cant use my polarized glasses anymore (or so I'm told). I hope they are as good as everyone makes them out to be.

Transition lenses will turn even from heat. At times I've forgotten my prescrip sunglasses I can just set my transition lenses on the dash and they will turn after a few minutes. But then after putting them on they fade to nothing after 10 minutes or so. But I love them. I get every option for my glasses. UV/scratch/tint whatever.

Btw, never had problems with glass instruments unless I turned my head 90 degrees. Don't believe the hype.

Now that I'm flying on glass I cant use my polarized glasses anymore (or so I'm told).

Lies, more lies, and damned lies. I've been flying in various glass cockpits with polarized sunglasses for over 13 years. I can count on 0 hands how many problems I've had.

BajtheJino said:
Transition lenses will turn even from heat. At times I've forgotten my prescrip sunglasses I can just set my transition lenses on the dash and they will turn after a few minutes. But then after putting them on they fade to nothing after 10 minutes or so. But I love them. I get every option for my glasses. UV/scratch/tint whatever.

Btw, never had problems with glass instruments unless I turned my head 90 degrees. Don't believe the hype.

Holy crap. Haven't seen you here in a while!

I have transitions when I'm not wearing contacts, but they don't actually work in the cockpit. How are you guys getting yours to tint while behind a windshield/windscreen?

I have transitions when I'm not wearing contacts, but they don't actually work in the cockpit. How are you guys getting yours to tint while behind a windshield/windscreen?

By wearing them.

If your windshield blocks UV (all cars; some aircraft), they won't. Otherwise they will.

I think it's going to depend on the instruments and the glasses. I've had polarized sunglasses that even made my phone and the moving map in my car difficult to read; others not so much other than a slight dimming.

Lies, more lies, and damned lies. I've been flying in various glass cockpits with polarized sunglasses for over 13 years. I can count on 0 hands how many problems I've had.

I find that better glasses ($$) tend to be better about LCD screens and color warping in the windscreen .

I like serengeti's, but its just a personal preference

I find that better glasses ($$) tend to be better about LCD screens and color warping in the windscreen .

I like serengeti's, but its just a personal preference

I've been rocking the same pair of polarized Maui Jims I bought for $250 back in UPT in 2000. They've never let me down. T-1, KC-135, Saab, Q, CRJ, random other planes I've ridden in or flown at one time or another with glass. Zero issues after 13 years.

Back