Some interview questions. What would you do?

uswc45

What are your thoughts on dealing with these scenarios, keeping in mind they're for an HR portion of an interview. I have my answers ready to go below but, I'm curious how others would deal with these situations.

What would you do if a passenger in first class is drunk and harassing the passenger next to him? (assume it's in-flight and not at the gate)
- It could be a ruse or distraction to gain access to the flight deck and I'm not going to leave the cockpit. I would say have a flight attendant bring the passenger into the galley for a talk, out of earshot from the other passengers. Tell the passenger the behavior is not acceptable and give him an ultimatum: The Captain says we can only continue the flight if he doesn't speak another word to passengers or crew unless spoken to, he moves seats or we can divert and lead to his arrest. Have his actions monitored by crew and able bodied people.​

What if you were trying to give a crew brief and a flight attendant is on her phone texting, how would you handle it?

- Nobody likes to be called out and you should never criticize or condemn people; it's just not an effective way to influence people because it causes resentment, even if they know it was wrong. I would say you could try to draw her into the brief by asking that FA's opinion or a simple question related to the brief.​

What are your thoughts on dealing with these scenarios, keeping in mind they're for an HR portion of an interview. I have my answers ready to go below but, I'm curious how others would deal with these situations.

What would you do if a passenger in first class is drunk and harassing the passenger next to him? (assume it's in-flight and not at the gate)
- It could be a ruse or distraction to gain access to the flight deck and I'm not going to leave the cockpit. I would say have a flight attendant bring the passenger into the galley for a talk, out of earshot from the other passengers. Tell the passenger the behavior is not acceptable and give him an ultimatum: The Captain says we can only continue the flight if he doesn't speak another word to passengers or crew unless spoken to, he moves seats or we can divert and lead to his arrest. Have his actions monitored by crew and able bodied people.​

What if you were trying to give a crew brief and a flight attendant is on her phone texting, how would you handle it?

- Nobody likes to be called out and you should never criticize or condemn people; it's just not an effective way to influence people because it causes resentment, even if they know it was wrong. I would say you could try to draw her into the brief by asking that FA's opinion or a simple question related to the brief.​

The first answer is pretty good and lets the passenger keep whatever dignity they have left at that point, since that person has already caused a scene.

To answer the second question I would simply clear my throat loudly a time or so to make it obvious we are talking about something important. If that doesn't work and if I'm in a lousy mood, I would simply stop talking and stare and wait for the FA to finish texting or whatever. Then when the FA is done and it's all nice and awkward I might say something like "Are you done?/Do I have your attention now? Good... (continue briefing)". I'm kind of a jerk like that but if any person is going to waste my time like that, then whatever. I would assume that most FA's realize the importance or briefings and would act professionally, so hopefully something like that wouldn't be an issue.

Not to derail this thread....

I find it very interesting the way tactfulness is paramount in resolving conflict in aviation. I've been in construction my entire adult life. It's not excactly a business known for generous applications of tact and definitely not a place for the thin skinned. I've seen grown men sent home in tears over relatively minor things.

My helper barely spoke a word for 2 days after I explained the various places I would put my foot if he didn't stop texting while we were working.

That said, I fully understand that tact and diplomacy go hand in hand with professionalism. Just making an observation.

You aren't going to leave the flight deck in flight. End of story. Your idea is not bad, but it isolates an FA with a potentially abusive passenger. In a big plane where you have multiple flight attendants to back each other up that may work but in a smaller plane with only 2 or so FAs, I'd rather everything take place were the peer pressure of the other passengers an keep the situation in check. Now, if the results aren't satisfactory and the passenger is in fact being abusive, the flight deck crew could make a final warning PA advising the passenger that they need to listen to what the FA is telling them and if they don't the plane will be diverted and they will be removed. Most airlines have a white briefing card that FAs can give to unruly pax as a sort of final warning. It details what happens when they disobey an instruction from a uniformed flight crewmember. Mostly people listen after that.

Question 2... who cares if you are singling the texter out. Tell them to put their phone down until you are done briefing.

Most flight attendants that I've worked with are exceptionally capable at managing poor behavior on the part of passengers. However, if the situation becomes something that the flight attendant(s) can't manage on their own, or they start requiring the help of other passengers to manage the situation, the best thing that a flight crew can do is put the airplane on the ground at a place where law enforcement can intervene.

(everyone in industry knows that pilots don't leave pilot stations while in flight to handle cabin disturbances, ever, in our post-turr'ism world.)

What BobDDuck said.

Number 1 is good.

For number 2, I'd try to keep it light. I don't want to be playing teacher on the first day of a trip. I like trying to use humor... Something like "I can text you the briefing if that would be better, haha." If I get nothing, then yeah tell them to shut it down.

The only thing to say about number one is that I believe they should have the conversation while the passenger is still in their seat. You don't want to isolate a flight attendant with an unruly passenger and having the passenger stay in their seat creates a position of dominance for the FA to better control the situation.

The last thing you want is for your 5ft nothing 90lbs soaking wet flight attendant to be isolated in a galley with a pax that becomes physically abusive. The other pax might not see the fight and not be able to help and now you have an injured / dead FA on board

For number two, I would go out on a limb and say that I would make absolutely sure the FA is paying attention to the brief. We have them for a reason, and should ensure everybody is in the loop. I DO like your idea of trying to draw them in with interaction, but if that didn't work, I would make absolutely sure that they understand cell phone use during a brief is unacceptable.

1. Depends on the threat level. If its verbal threat, relocate the neighbor. If its physical then land at nearest suitable airport and have him removed.
2. Ask her to get off. That lets FA know you won't tolerate it. If you let it slide FA will keep pushing the line further down to see how much FA can get away with. It applies to van times too. I give them one chance then leave them at hotel and they can explain to the chief FA why we left them at the hotel. I'm sure that will rectify that problem real quick.

Back