CNN: Tower Closures

Yeah, but so do State College and Pellston. No problems flying a CRJ into those two uncontrolled. The only FL one that has me scratching my head is Boca, but I don't know how busy it is. I know it's a big retirement community, so I ASSUME it's fairly busy. I might be wrong. The rest kinda make sense. Tupelo, MS is a ghost town even when it HAD a decent amount of airline traffic. Delta's more or less killed it, though. Olive Branch, MS is a big reliever airport for Memphis, so we'll see how that goes.

State College actually has a part time tower now. It's staying open.

Any word on TRACON furloughs?

All controllers are taking one furlough day per pay period starting April 7th. Hiring is on the back burner. This is not good for GA all. at all. Hubs that function on overtime are going to see serious hits.

Doesn't the Air Boss handheld tower anyway during the air show? Other then that always seems dead the few times I've been there.

At least in LAL (never flown into Oshkosh), it's crazy nuts ALL DAY during Sun N Fun. They've got guys with handhelds by the lakes managing holding patterns to release guys to fly a strobe light arrival to the airport. Then they land three at a time on the taxiway since the runway is covered with static aircraft displays. And it's like that all week. AOPA day? Forget it, man. It's a zoo.

Now, the rest of the year, it's pretty sleepy over there.

All controllers are taking one furlough day per pay period starting April 7th. Hiring is on the back burner. This is not good for GA all. at all. Hubs that function on overtime are going to see serious hits.
I can't wait to go to San Flowcisco again!

Awesome:

If I'm understanding correctly:
The FAA decided to close 170'ish NFCT's, which will place additional burdens on the TRACONs to generate IFR clearances and close IFR flight plans, especially if guys cancel at the gate. The already overworked TRACONS will have increased workload coupled with additional mandatory staff furloughs.

Sounds like a great plan!

Awesome:

If I'm understanding correctly:
The FAA decided to close 170'ish NFCT's, which will place additional burdens on the TRACONs to generate IFR clearances and close IFR flight plans, especially if guys cancel at the gate. The already overworked TRACONS will have increased workload coupled with additional mandatory staff furloughs.

Sounds like a great plan!

Not to bring politics onto this fine site, but it is a great plan if you want public pressure on your side.

Rumor is OSU Airport Tower (contract) is going to remain open. The University is footing the bill because of their flight training program.

Fair point. Anybody else believe user fees are an equitable solution?
Not really the issue at hand though. The aviation system fully funds itself through existing taxes. Essentially what happened was all departments and agencies were told to slash all budgets by a certain amount once sequester went into effect without giving those agencies and departments the discretion to determine where to trim the budget.

Recent developments have given certain agencies the discretion to avoid cuts in the main workforce if they cut the same dollar amount in another way. TSA agents, FDA meat inspectors and prison guards have been most notably exempt. Senator Moran (SP?) was shut down on introducing an amendment allowing the DOT to cut funds at their discretion.

Your assessment of the situation however is spot on.

Would this be the wrong time to bring up that even if the sequester were made permanent, we'd still be totally, irretrievably broke and headed for a rather rapid introduction to fun of the Third World? If you think this is bad, wait till you see Sovereign Default.

This should put these "massive cuts" into perspective... (and also how much GWB and Obama have sucked along with the congresses at the time)

sequester-cut-debt-500x500.png

Would this be the wrong time to bring up that even if the sequester were made permanent, we'd still be totally, irretrievably broke and headed for a rather rapid introduction to fun of the Third World? If you think this is bad, wait till you see Sovereign Default.

:rolleyes:

:tinfoil:

Before people say I am 'trolling', 'Sovereign Default' has occurred in the USA before...

DPA & ARR were on the chopping block here in Chicago, but luckily they're going to stay open...I knocked around the pattern @ DPA for an hour working on Power Off 180's and it was insane...If there were no controllers, I'm fairly sure a mid-air would have occurred.

Back