Silly AGI question

djh1007

Flying Squirrel Trainee
Silly question of the day: What do I need to bring to the FSDO to complete my AGI certification? I passed the test last Friday, and have an appointment scheduled Thursday.

Is there an 8710, do I need to do IACRA?

Call the FSDO, some do IACRA some don't, you can do a paper 8710 if ya like or just fill one out when you get there.

Bring your test results of course, any certs you hold and medical.

Just bring them a paper 8710... You'll be in and out in 10 minutes. You don't need to in fill your flight times on the 8710 unless you REALLY want to. CFI cert or FOI results, AGI results, and a photo Id. They never asked to see my medical or my pilot cert.

While you're at the FSDO it never hurts to ask a few " hey, I want to be a more responsible aviator/CFI, what do you think I should do?" sort of questions. Any opportunity to make a good impression with the Feds could be worth its weight in gold should you run afoul of them later.

so once you pass the written, you then need to go to a FSDO to finish up the paperwork?

Yes, you need to do an 8710 and they just print your new certificate and it will be a separate certificate, I have three cards from the FAA - pilot certificate, flight instructor certificate, ground instructor certificate. They'll print your temporary ground cert and you'll get the plastic one in the mail a month or so later.

* Call and make an appointment, they can probably do it as a walk in as it only takes 10 minutes, but will probably give a better impression if you schedule a time

Call and make an appointment, they can probably do it as a walk in as it only takes 10 minutes, but will probably give a better impression if you schedule a time

The Greensboro FSDO requires an appointment to be made 24 hours in advance, and they don't like IACRA.

What every one else has said. It was really a very simple process. In and out in 10 minutes (would have been shorter if I had remembered to have my FTN Number with me).

What every one else has said. It was really a very simple process. In and out in 10 minutes (would have been shorter if I had remembered to have my FTN Number with me).

Mine took hours, because I did an IACRA beforehand (I mean, the FAA is encouraging everyone to use it, right?).
Let's just say that the very nice lady at the FSDO was ... not the best, when it came to computers. Had I brought an 8710, it would likely have been only just a few minutes. Ahwell.

The other thing to remember is that even after you get your AGI, you must have an instructor sign you off as having met the requirements of 61.213.

~Fox

Back