Tell-tale signs of • mechanics

beasly

• Things you dis-assembled are not completely re-assembled.
  • The machine is in worse shape after your diagnostics.
  • "I don't know" is not in you vocabulary.

The post is about tell-tale signs of lousy mechanics. Being a kind man, I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to people.

That said, lousy mechanics leave 'lousy mechanic sign'.

I think I am getting jaded and less than gracious in my old age.

I've seen good wrenches, I've seen bad wrenches. My general belief is that if the wrench wants to do things properly (and I don't mean the "easy way" but actually how it should be done), if the mechanic keeps a good relationship with the pilots he/she works with and often asks for their feedback, and if the mechanic doesn't try pull the wool over my eyes the maintenance is generally good. When the mechanic tries to make excuses for why they cut corners, that's the first sign that things are trouble, when the mechanic doesn't take the pilot seriously, or considers them "•" for not flying broken equipment, well then things are different. Stuff has to be done right, whether you're turning wrenches or flying the airplane - while "right" may very based on circumstance, it's pretty obvious to me when things are hokey.

I remember the first day of A&P school, old man stood up and said "You know how to tell a mechanic from a pilot? Mechanic washes his hands before he takes a leak. Pilot, well, he washes his hands after."

I remember the first day of A&P school, old man stood up and said "You know how to tell a mechanic from a pilot? Mechanic washes his hands before he takes a leak. Pilot, well, he washes his hands after."

What?! Obviously he doesn't know many instructors. I got no time to wash my hands, students are waiting.

How do I know a mechanic has worked on our plane?

All of the cockpit switches are in the "off" position, and/or not where I left them or where they should be.

How do I know a mechanic has worked on our plane?

All of the cockpit switches are in the "off" position, and/or not where I left them or where they should be.
How do I know a pilot brought the plane to the hangar for the night? Radios and mags were left on, engine is 2 quarts low on oil, and the nose wheel pant is filthy.

I meant two quarts below normal...ie 7-8 quarts in an IO540 (max capacity 12).

Yeah, 7 in the IO540 I would worry. I shoot for between 8 -9.

BTW, got a 540 question (we just bought a new one in crate, old one still flying). The oil pressure is always looking just low enough to scare me in climb 35-40lbs). Gets up to 70 at speed. 0 at idle. Engine has been like that for 2000+ hours, clearly pumping oil.

Why is it like that? Much hangar speculation about improving the gauge reading.

Yeah, 7 in the IO540 I would worry. I shoot for between 8 -9.

BTW, got a 540 question (we just bought a new one in crate, old one still flying). The oil pressure is always looking just low enough to scare me in climb 35-40lbs). Gets up to 70 at speed. 0 at idle. Engine has been like that for 2000+ hours, clearly pumping oil.

Why is it like that? Much hangar speculation about improving the gauge reading.
You say oil pressure is low in climb. Does that mean specifically at climb power, specifically at low airspeed, specifically at high pitch attitudes, or some combination thereof? What grade of oil are you using?

You say oil pressure is low in climb. Does that mean specifically at climb power, specifically at low airspeed, specifically at high pitch attitudes, or some combination thereof? What grade of oil are you using?

Aero-shell ashless normal for FL. Low in climb (full power & sloooow). With a glider behind, that's 15kts above stall or so

Aero-shell ashless normal for FL. Low in climb (full power & sloooow). With a glider behind, that's 15kts above stall or so
That sounds like high oil temp. I'd have to look again at the exact routing of the oil through an IO540 but I'd guess that even if your oil temp indication is normal the heating of the oil downstream of the temp probe might be enough to thin it out and reduce the pressure. If its that much of a concern you might try changing to a thicker oil but honestly as long as it meets Lycoming's specifications I wouldn't worry myself too much about it.

That sounds like high oil temp. I'd have to look again at the exact routing of the oil through an IO540 but I'd guess that even if your oil temp indication is normal the heating of the oil downstream of the temp probe might be enough to thin it out and reduce the pressure. If its that much of a concern you might try changing to a thicker oil but honestly as long as it meets Lycoming's specifications I wouldn't worry myself too much about it.

That's been the consensus of the A&P's so far. Temp is usually 190-210 or so

Oil temp probe is in the oil filter adapter. Oil pressure is off of the right side of the accessory case. One thing I've learned is that the oil pressure can actually be up to 20psi lower at the front bearing. Cessna moved their oil pressure reading to that location in the restart singles.

Back