An A.net-ish question

jrh

I was riding in back of a United 757-200 from Berlin to Newark this weekend and noticed the seat row numbers jumped from something like 11 or 12, up to 20. In other words, seats 11D, 11E, and 11F were directly in front of 20D, 20E, and 20F.

Why the break in sequence? Does it make rebooking seats easier if another aircraft is swapped on to the line unexpectedly?

I think I saw this on another aircraft a while ago (A320?) but forgot to ask about it.

Hey, I was living the dream, riding ORD-FRA in business class of a 777 on Tuesday....my luck can't last forever!

TXL-EWR actually wasn't too bad. I listed for a business class seat again but ended up in an exit row window seat with nobody next to me in the middle seat. I'm never going to complain about crossing the Atlantic for less than $100.

Wait, I do have one complaint. I was originally planning to ride LEJ-JFK on a Kalitta Air 747. Faxed in the paperwork five days in advance. 1.5 days prior to departure, after I had already arrived in Leipzig, Kalitta e-mailed me to say our jumpseat agreement only covers domestic travel.

Ahh, such is the life of a nonrev-er. I'm developing a love/hate relationship to free travel. Not really sad about getting out in three weeks.

Oh no, still flying for sure, but out of the airline biz. In the immediate short term I'll be working for an aircraft broker....ferrying planes, training new owners, and doing a bit of brokering myself. Long term, I might additionally get into some part time charter/corporate stuff, aviation writing/speaking, or whatever else pops up.

There are several reasons, but a lot of it boils down to lifestyle. Working as more of an "entrepreneur" is apples to oranges different from the company/seniority/crew scheduling-dictated lifestyle of airline flying. I'm not bitter or burned out on airline flying. It's been a fun year at my current company. Just realized it's not the right fit for me right now.

Hey, I was living the dream, riding ORD-FRA in business class of a 777 on Tuesday....my luck can't last forever!

TXL-EWR actually wasn't too bad. I listed for a business class seat again but ended up in an exit row window seat with nobody next to me in the middle seat. I'm never going to complain about crossing the Atlantic for less than $100.

Wait, I do have one complaint. I was originally planning to ride LEJ-JFK on a Kalitta Air 747. Faxed in the paperwork five days in advance. 1.5 days prior to departure, after I had already arrived in Leipzig, Kalitta e-mailed me to say our jumpseat agreement only covers domestic travel.

Ahh, such is the life of a nonrev-er. I'm developing a love/hate relationship to free travel. Not really sad about getting out in three weeks.

Only favors domestic travel? Sounds like it only favors the Kalitta pilots.

Only favors domestic travel? Sounds like it only favors the Kalitta pilots.

No, they said it was something to do with their agreement with my carrier only allowing for domestic travel. So if you work for say, Delta, or Skywest, or something, they might let those pilots ride internationally.

I believe they run ORD-EWR and ANC-ORD domestic flights on a regular basis, as well as publish their upcoming charter flight schedule. I see ONT-LEX, LRD-LAN, and LAN-YIP charters coming up within the next few days. Why a person would want to jumpseat on those, I have no idea, but they're available.

Not sure about the 757, may have been so CO could do 752/753 swaps, the origional United 757s don't have that sequence. But pre-merger United was doing the same thing with the 319/320s to eliminate people needing to be reassigned after a downgrade.

Back