Spirit's $100 carry-on fee starts next month

The money is there, as long as the playing field is level. The problem comes in when a carrier has much lower labor costs than its competitors. Avoiding that situation by engaging in smart pattern bargaining will take our wages out of the equation.

The money is there, as long as the playing field is level. The problem comes in when a carrier has much lower labor costs than its competitors. Avoiding that situation by engaging in smart pattern bargaining will take our wages out of the equation.

Its not just pilots, its all employees potentially. If the airline truly can't make money and is perpetually operating at a loss, or needs to slash costs, there shouldn't be any sacred cows. Much like the DoD, when it comes to reducing costs, everything should be on the table of consideration......operations, equipment, personnel, logistics, supply, fleet, and yes.....even CEO bonuses, amongst other things. Because if this business is truly an impossible one for legacies to make any sort of realistic profit with in the current operating environment due to LCCs, as people are implying here, then it really is only a matter of time before each one falls.

If that's the case, then why do airline pilots complain that they make crap wages? If the airline can't make money, where are they going to get the money to pay the pilots (and everyone else) anything more than paltry wages (save for the exec's golden parachutes). If this is truly the case, then pilots need to quit bitching and complaining about how much they don't make, because the money to pay them high six figures, obviously isnt there, nor is it going to ever be.
You're probably right about this, but no one really wants to admit it. Thus, the complaining continues.

Well, that and the fact that the money to raise wages without increasing the ticket prices probably is there, but it's frequently diverted into executive bankruptcy bonuses instead.

If that's the case, then why do airline pilots complain that they make crap wages? If the airline can't make money, where are they going to get the money to pay the pilots (and everyone else) anything more than paltry wages (save for the exec's golden parachutes). If this is truly the case, then pilots need to quit bitching and complaining about how much they don't make, because the money to pay them high six figures, obviously isnt there, nor is it going to ever be.

Oh, the money is there....in the bank accounts of the CEOs and share holders..... did I just type that out loud?

Oh, the money is there....in the bank accounts of the CEOs and share holders..... did I just type that out loud?

Of course. that's why I made sure to single them out in my posts; their carefully packed and unopened golden parachutes.

I'm no fan of CEO compensation levels and golden parachutes, but we have to be honest here: the money given to executives is minuscule. You could completely gut their compensation packages and it wouldn't even dent the company's expenditures. Pilot payroll is enormous, eclipsed only by fuel costs. Cut the CEO's compensation to the bone, not much difference to the company. Cut the company fuel bill or pilot payroll by just 5%? Big difference to the bottom line. I know it doesn't fit the narrative that pilots like to tell all the time, but it's reality. This is a big reason why smart pattern bargaining is an absolute necessity. Getting 30% out ahead of your competitors may make for good bragging rights, but it puts your company in a horrible position, and you'll just end up giving it all back and more when the company is unable to compete. Smart pattern bargaining is the answer. Not the crazy 52% pay raises that the APA was demanding, or the absurd "full restoration" that the DPA nimrods talk about.

I'm no fan of CEO compensation levels and golden parachutes, but we have to be honest here: the money given to executives is minuscule. You could completely gut their compensation packages and it wouldn't even dent the company's expenditures. Pilot payroll is enormous, eclipsed only by fuel costs. Cut the CEO's compensation to the bone, not much difference to the company. Cut the company fuel bill or pilot payroll by just 5%? Big difference to the bottom line. I know it doesn't fit the narrative that pilots like to tell all the time, but it's reality. This is a big reason why smart pattern bargaining is an absolute necessity. Getting 30% out ahead of your competitors may make for good bragging rights, but it puts your company in a horrible position, and you'll just end up giving it all back and more when the company is unable to compete. Smart pattern bargaining is the answer. Not the crazy 52% pay raises that the APA was demanding, or the absurd "full restoration" that the DPA nimrods talk about.

Agreed. And pilots should be paid a fair wage, but the reality too is that the days of the $300K captain on the A scale, are a thing of the past. Too, as many mention and you yourself have, is that you get not only what you bargain for, but what you bargain smartly and realistically for. While the situation as a whole sucks, when the airline (or any company) is having trouble making money, whether for reasons within or not within their control, something is going to have to give monetarily. As you honestly point out here, pilot payroll is up there along with some other high-cost type of factors.

What about Flight attendants? FA's now have to have SELF DEFENSE training. In the glory days of flying, they were issue white gloves. Now they are issued tough cuffs. My first year as an FA, I netted $9,000. $9,000 and I was away from home 20 days per month. That was inluding per diem. As a dispatcher, Im not exactly paid a kings ransom, but I an at least pay my car insurance and buy food for 2 childrem.

That w
That works if you have the entire day! But if you don't, $29 is certainly worth it to me!
In that neck of the woods, worst case scenario would be LAS-FAT-SFO or a few hours stranded in the atrociously unexciting Las Vegas Airport before getting on a non-stop home. See, right here, non-rev risk management keeps your wallet happy. $29 is a few extra drinks the night before, and I avoid the hidden $300 ER fee I'd have to pay on the BART ride home from Oakland at Midnight.

I love this. Spirit has some pretty funny ads.

untitled2-4_3_r560.jpg

I've re-read this ad three times and I still dont understand what it says. Maybe I'm in a post-lunch-walking-coma.
American Airlines was just in the news for having issues with loose seats on some of their 757s

Or you know, we could let business Darwinism run its course and kill off the companies that refuse to sell their product at a price point that makes them money (or at least breaks even). Maybe also institute capital punishment for executives and boards of directors that run their companies into the ground e.g. Phil Trenary at Pinnacle. (I think jynxyjoe has already established dibs on flipping the switch)
The current system of government-enabled corporate irresponsibility is at least partly responsible for many of the industry's problems.
Someday someone will get on a high tower with a higher powered rifle and take a few of these executives out and perhaps a sense of propiety of their acts would be instilled in their wretchedness rather that which we see now, unpunished theft.

Although, we could just lash them to old sparky and sell tickets.

Me too. They have some pretty clever, whitty folks doing their ads. Im in marketing, we should start an airline advertising company ;)

Well, SWA dumped GSD&M after 30 years and picked up a cadre of Omnicom agencies, so you could start there....

JetBlue uses Mullen, and Spirit....dammit. I can't figure out who their AOR is via Google. Will have to make a call...

Well, SWA dumped GSD&M after 30 years and picked up a cadre of Omnicom agencies, so you could start there....

JetBlue uses Mullen, and Spirit....dammit. I can't figure out who their AOR is via Google. Will have to make a call...

I cant find it either. My guess is they may have their own in-house people. If they used an agency it would be easy to find. I cant find anything on Cision or any of the other data base programs I have here at work.

Back