Shootin' LASERs out of planes, at the ground & OFF YOUR FACE!

Nice video. Very cool.

What kind of aircraft is that? I couldn't really figure it out.

What's up with the climbs and descents? Do you have to maintain a certain altitude above the terrain for the mapping?

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

Nice video. Very cool.

What kind of aircraft is that? I couldn't really figure it out.

What's up with the climbs and descents? Do you have to maintain a certain altitude above the terrain for the mapping?

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

It's the mighty Partenavia. To get the point density required for the project we had to get "low" and follow terrain. We're not really mapping, what we're doing is way too inefficient and focused for that. With the accuracy of the elevation data we acquire and how it's used, surveying really is the best way to describe it.

Its a real DubStep rager

Dammit, I KNEW I should have used "Sail".... Don't really think that's dub step, but ok.... Here, I did the hard work and wikied it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubstep. So you tell me.

Why were there huge airspeed fluctuations at some points? Got really slow at one point... What were u doing?

Why were there huge airspeed fluctuations at some points? Got really slow at one point... What were u doing?
He's doing LIDAR survey. He's not in cruise going anywhere, he's loitering in an area, and altitude changes are needed.

I got that, but i think a/s went below 60 at one point... I dont really know what lidar is but id think below 60 wouldnt be reqd... Also ive never flown a partanavia, so what do i know, maybe they stall at 35

Very cool!

Any chance change you could post a couple of shot of how you mounted the cameras in the cabin?

Also, old skool.
QHA5u.jpg

I got that, but i think a/s went below 60 at one point... I dont really know what lidar is but id think below 60 wouldnt be reqd... Also ive never flown a partanavia, so what do i know, maybe they stall at 35

The really slow stuff is all in the turns. With this system we're limited to 20 deg of bank off-line. That make for some pretty wide turns. Especially, when you have to hit a line that's only 30m over. So with a fixed bank angle the only other way to control the turn radius is with ground speed. Vso in the P68C is 60KIAS. With 1/2 tanks or less, full flaps, 20 AOB & a little power I can get it to come around at 55. In smooth air as low as 50. That propwash over the wings is like having adjustable VGs. You can also play with differential power little too. But you gotta be careful with that, or you'll be treading on thin ice in a hurry. BTW, none of the above is how our company expects us to operate or trains us and I don't teach anyone this... These are just things that some of us have figured out based on the airframe we have to work with.

There's a little more to it than that, but it's all about groundspeed control. One system we have allows 30 AOB, with that we can easily get our turns well below 1 minute.

Very cool!

Any chance change you could post a couple of shot of how you mounted the cameras in the cabin?

Also, old skool.
QHA5u.jpg

It was one camera over 4 different flights... The mount was super Hi-tec... I stuck my Canon 60D on a tripod (closed), put it in the right seat and used tie-downs to keep it there. I just changed angles & lenses between flights. I used a EFs 10-22mm & EFs 15-85mm.

WOW, that's back when she was new! And the company logo is on the tail! What did they do back then? Fly in and give people massages???
I actually like that paint job better....

Great video. The music was spot on for the time lapse and repetitive motions happening.

Very reminiscent of my last aerial mapping job with the limited bank turns. Something about making sure the GPS antennae was always pointed at enough of the sky. I certainly don't miss that kind of flying although the money wasn't too bad.

Back