HIV+ student pilot

TFaudree_ERAU

Mashin' dem buttons
Had a passenger earlier this week that expressed some interest in obtaining his PPL (and maybe IR), and possibly purchasing an aircraft. We exchanged information, and he wants to stay in touch to pick my brain if he comes up with any questions about the steps toward his goal.

Today I found out today that he's HIV+. He contracted it over 20 years ago through a blood transfusion for hemophilia. So, I suppose the inevitable question that he's going to ask is:
Can he obtain a 3rd class medical with his condition? Is the LSA route his only hope?

Plus the underlying hemophilia as well. Further - if someone knows that a condition is disqualifying I believe you are supposed to self-ground under LSA. This always seemed strange to me - how could it ever be enforced? Are you supposed to look up all disqualifying items prior to LSA flying, or is it an honor-system?

Plus the underlying hemophilia as well. Further - if someone knows that a condition is disqualifying I believe you are supposed to self-ground under LSA. This always seemed strange to me - how could it ever be enforced? Are you supposed to look up all disqualifying items prior to LSA flying, or is it an honor-system?

You're supposed to self ground under any certificate, not just LSA.

HIV is a DQ condition. The FAA requires a current status report to include their medical history emphasizing symptoms and treatment referable to the immune system, a clinical assessment of cognitive function, a CogScreen-AE test, laboratory reports to include viral load, CD4 count, CBC, lipid profile, fasting blood glucose, kidney and liver function studies. The FAA will make the determination regarding flight status and certification.

Back