Unique Approaches

spoolinup22

Anyone have any good approaches they like to teach/ show their students?

Working on CFII and I'm tired of shooting the same 4 approaches over and over and over and over...

VOR-DME 15 at KMTN is a classic. Not sure if it's even still around.

There's a VOR-A I think into KBTM that killed an Amflight crew a few years ago because they forgot to turn 15 degrees or so crossing the VOR, that's one worth doing in the sim.

LDA approaches into KASE and KTVL are cool. Really any approach in Alaska, for example the LDA 8 into PAJN, or some of the approaches into PAKT...expectantly if your sim models terrain and you set the vis to what the student will think of as VFR-3ish miles and 2000' ceilings. Then when the approach dumps them 4 miles from the field in crummy weather with terrain things get interesting.

LDA approaches can be hard to do though because a lot of sims don't model them accurately-they assume the LDA is on the runway and/or aligned with runway heading, which as I'm sure you know they are not, or they would not be LDAs.

188466_858516693593_6036087_n.jpg

Most of the time in the U.S.(unless you're in the mountains) we're going to get vectors to the Final Appr. Course, but if you can expose students to aproaches with challenging full procedures, that will make vectors a breeze. Down in Mexico there are a lot of DME arcs. For example, ILS DME 2 OR LOC Rwy 17 @ MMIO: http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/notices-alerts/hubwatch/Mexico/mmioALL.pdf

Arc off the VOR, Intercept the LOC inbound, throw in a circle and a missed and you'll have your hands full for a few minutes!

VOR-DME 15 at KMTN is a classic. Not sure if it's even still around.

There's a VOR-A I think into KBTM that killed an Amflight crew a few years ago because they forgot to turn 15 degrees or so crossing the VOR, that's one worth doing in the sim.

LDA approaches into KASE and KTVL are cool. Really any approach in Alaska, for example the LDA 8 into PAJN, or some of the approaches into PAKT...expectantly if your sim models terrain and you set the vis to what the student will think of as VFR-3ish miles and 2000' ceilings. Then when the approach dumps them 4 miles from the field in crummy weather with terrain things get interesting.

LDA approaches can be hard to do though because a lot of sims don't model them accurately-they assume the LDA is on the runway and/or aligned with runway heading, which as I'm sure you know they are not, or they would not be LDAs.

We just have some Frasca 141 models. No visual, but I'm pretty sure it can do most locations. I'll try some of those later and get back to you. Thanks!

Nice approach...now let's see your takeoff and departure!

Damn! That's my company paging me, I have an emergency flight. I fly harvested organs around the country saving lives. It's a noble living, but I never know where I will be needed next or when I'll be home. I am sort of like Superman, without the cape. Give me your number and I'll call you when I am available, now quick, can you drive me to the airport?

Back