Log book question

Pilotforhire587

Lycra Man
I know we cover this all the time but I was updating log book pro from my paper books today and while Total, SEL, MEL, night, SIC, and actual are all correct, XC, Duag given and received, complex, and PIC are all off by a bit. None are off by more than 5 hours. How would you fix this?

I only have 4 pages left in my second Jepp Professional log book so I was going to just take the times from log book pro and use those when I start the next log book making a note that they are correcting for addition errors via electronic log. There errors in this one go all the way back to my first log book so it is way to much to try and go back and track down.

So again, what would you do?

How many hours do you have? I started my logbook pro at 1500 hours and i was ruthless at finding the errors. I still cross check every page when it is full. It took me 40+ hours to input all the data the first time and then after that another 5 hours or so afterwards cleaning errors that were off by tenths.

Rediculous perhaps, but I know my times are spot on now. I also use both electronic and paper logbooks to error check each other like a bank ledger. It works pretty well.

The downside is the corrections make my paper logbook a bit more messy, as I crossed errors out.

Thats an idea of how long it can take to chase errors out. In the end only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

I'm grinding out my elogbook now (starting over because of a failed hdd and my cloud backup expired:bang:)

I found tons of mathematical errors and by the 300 hr mark most of them were ± 5 but my PIC was +20. I had one person that suggested including a new line with the the corrections and an explanation in the remarks section.

I have well over 3000 hours now. I cross check the correct times every page now. I was thinking about just putting the correct number on the amount forwarded line on the bottom of the first page with an explanation below it.

...... I had one person that suggested including a new line with the the corrections and an explanation in the remarks section.

I have well over 3000 hours now. I cross check the correct times every page now. I was thinking about just putting the correct number on the amount forwarded line on the bottom of the first page with an explanation below it.
These. You really won't need to do much more than that.

I did things a little differently when I switched over. I went through each of my log books and made a single-line entry for each aircraft (both make and model). I broke the times down into mode of flight and pilot time. The single-line entries stated which log book was used to determine the totals. After switching to LogBook Pro I don't even keep a paper book any more. I'll always keep the old ones as a proof of the old entries.

My times were a little off in the end so I made another single-line entry correcting to the totals shown in the log books (I always totaled and rectified each page as I logged time).

I have well over 3000 hours now.
At this point in your career, it's not a critical question from most perspectives. However, I think the best thing to do is what you suggested, but with maybe a twist. Finish off your last book with the notation and correction, then start the new book fresh. No matter what you do as long as it gives the impression of an honest effort, it will be okay. Everyone who has ever kept a logbook for any length of time knows the difficulty of being 100% accurate.

Back