787 jumpseat

When I would commute back and forth two Seattle I sat 2nd jumpseat on SWA from MDW all the time. I wouldn't wish that hell on anybody but at least it was a ride home.

Rode up front in the cockpit of an A330 from LAS-HNL. Best jumpseat I've been on by far. Armrests, and it reclines pretty far back.

Years ago I was jumpseating from ANC to SEA after hanging out with Rocketman99 and an FO of his for a few days. I ended up having to take the jumpseat of an Alaska 737. I signed up for it right in front of an old FedEx guy. Being much younger and junior in the industry I (stupidly) offered to take the second jumpseat, thinking it was like an Airbus. Most painful 4 hours I've ever spent.

Me too, after spending 1/2 a day trying to get out of ANC, I finally got on a 73. I offered the older guy the big boy seat... The jetbridge pulled, and rampers told them they added like 3,000 lb of fish. Captain rand the numbers and apologized to both of us that he wasn't going to be able to get use out of ANC. I've never been so happy to get kicked off a plane!

Exactly. But many here never have and never will experience that. Which is too unfortunate.

Yes it is...I imagine the sitting inside the "fishbowl" cockpit of the L-1011 was one of those sublime moments in life for true aviation nerds. Sadly I was born too late to get that experience...though my memories of flying on DL's L-1011's are ones I'll have forever.

Exactly. But many here never have and never will experience that. Which is too unfortunate.

I know.

That's what makes me cranky about the 1960's ergonomics of the 737. It's actually gotten worse but there was no attempt to rectify it.

Sent from my TRS-80

I know.

That's what makes me cranky about the 1960's ergonomics of the 737. It's actually gotten worse but there was no attempt to rectify it.

Sent from my TRS-80

How much do you want to bet that a redesign of the 737 cockpit would result in a new type rating?

How much do you want to bet that a redesign of the 737 cockpit would result in a new type rating?

I have no idea.

Loud, cramped and with the increased range, you're wedged in there all day. Is the F-1/11 any smaller? :)

I have no idea.

Loud, cramped and with the increased range, you're wedged in there all day. Is the F-1/11 any smaller? :)

I do EWR-OKC in an ERJ on a regular basis, which is blocked at 3 hours and 45 minutes. I put loud and cramped with increased range on my resume.

I do EWR-OKC in an ERJ on a regular basis, which is blocked at 3 hours and 45 minutes. I put loud and cramped with increased range on my resume.
Let's go out and do 4+15 in a Lear 45. I'll have you begging for your cramped rj and it's horrible foot rests. :)

Thank god I at least make way more and fly way less in the Lear than I did in the erj. :)

Let's go out and do 4+15 in a Lear 45. I'll have you begging for your cramped rj and it's horrible foot rests. :)

Thank god I at least make way more and fly way less in the Lear than I did in the erj. :)

At least your airplane is sexy and has a real yoke! Oh and it can climb to FL1500 before I'm through 10,000'.

At least your airplane is sexy and has a real yoke! Oh and it can climb to FL1500 before I'm through 10,000'.
That is true. I always liked the erj yoke, felt like ridding a Harley. When we're light we can get thru 10k downwind abeam.

I miss me some foot rests though. I wouldn't know what to do with all that room in a wide body cockpit. I'd probably be sleeping in it on the over nights. :)

Back