For Parents

Krystal

Dispatch Betty
I dont talk about it here, but I do some work with local schools on a particular subject. Today, I heard my youngest daughter telling about something that was happening at her school and I felt compelled to write something about it on my blog.

I wont post the full text here because I know some people really dont like to hear me talk. So Ill post the link to it. I hope that the parents here will take the time to read it and I appreciate any feedback, either here or on my blog. Thanks. -Krystal

http://21thingsabout.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/kids-being-kids-a-story-about-bullying/

I was lucky, going to a small-town school with only 52 of us in my class. There weren't the severe bullying issues found at bigger schools. There was the occasional minor name-calling, but for the most part we all stuck together and didn't have major issues.

Plus, I beat up the one kid who tried to "bully" me in the 7th grade...

Got tired of hearing Judy Garland jokes? :)
index.jpg

Haha! No, a kid thought he was being cute or funny or something and pushed me into a lightpole while walking between the main school building and the Industrial Arts building. I let it go. He pushed me into another one, I said "Don't do that again". He reached out to push me into a 3rd and I punched him in the face. We got into a full knock-down fight and I beat the crap out of him. Nobody ever bothered me again... We both got hauled into the principal's office to tell our story. I told mine, and got sent back to class and never heard another word about it. He got a couple days' suspension.

Funny thing was, that kid was the kid of one of the local cops. That night, after my parents got home from work there was a knock at the door. It was the cop with the kid. The dad made the kid apologize first to my dad, then to me. That was the kind of town I grew up in...

So yeah, I beat up a cop's kid. No one ever bothered me again though.

As for Judy Garland, I used to hear that ALL THE TIME on the airplanes when I was working! "You look just like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz!" or "You look just like Judy Garland!" I never minded. There's worse people I could look like! Ha!

Yes!

I always love a good "prison shank" story!

You kick someone's ass real bad, publicly, the rest of the inmates know that you're 5'1 of pure kick assery!

I gave him 2 opportunities to stop. I don't know or understand why he continued to try to push me around. I let it go the first time, I was willing to ignore it. And I told him to stop, I gave him fair verbal warning to stop. I don't understand why he didn't stop. I wasn't one of the 'popular kids' and no one else was going to come to my aid or defense, so I had no choice but to stand up for myself. I didn't want to beat him up, I wasn't looking for a fight, but when he reached over to push me into that 3rd lightpole it was like the scene in "Christmas Story" where Ralphie beats up the bully kid. I punched him and kept beating until I was sure he was going to leave me alone. Without the swearing though. I don't think I yelled, I just hit. :)

You can't do that anymore. Our wonderful education system doesn't allow kids to stick up for themselves.

My kid knows to take no crap and lay the smack down if he ever gets "bullied". I will deal with the nitwits in the office.

Unfortunately, it was that way even 12 years ago. There is no accountability in our society anymore. My bullies went largely unpunished and, in the case of the boy who broke my nose, they were sometimes rewarded for it!

Haha! No, a kid thought he was being cute or funny or something and pushed me into a lightpole while walking between the main school building and the Industrial Arts building. I let it go. He pushed me into another one, I said "Don't do that again". He reached out to push me into a 3rd and I punched him in the face. We got into a full knock-down fight and I beat the crap out of him. Nobody ever bothered me again... We both got hauled into the principal's office to tell our story. I told mine, and got sent back to class and never heard another word about it. He got a couple days' suspension.

Funny thing was, that kid was the kid of one of the local cops. That night, after my parents got home from work there was a knock at the door. It was the cop with the kid. The dad made the kid apologize first to my dad, then to me. That was the kind of town I grew up in...

So yeah, I beat up a cop's kid. No one ever bothered me again though.

As for Judy Garland, I used to hear that ALL THE TIME on the airplanes when I was working! "You look just like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz!" or "You look just like Judy Garland!" I never minded. There's worse people I could look like! Ha!
I had a similar story like that. Same result, Both told our story and nothing happened to me. I don't think he got a suspension but he did get a week of detention after school. I think that would help things tremendously as well, back in the day you could beat the hell out of someone for bullying and teachers and parents alike knew the kid deserved, end of story. Now, everyone is sue happy there is no way to relieve that pent up feeling from being the but end of the abuse.

Back