Fam Ride

Hey all... I'm going on my first fam ride Monday. Any advice for me? What to do, not to do, good questions to ask, etc.. Thanks :)
I'm sure the crew will give you good briefing on what they expect from you. Ask if the ops agent can get an extra copy of the flight plan so you can follow along the route of flight. The Captain or FO will brief you on sterile cockpit procedures, no unnecessary talk under 10,000 ft etc.They should also set you up on your audio panel so you can listen to ATC and the interphone.
As the FE, I usually gave the briefings to ACM's as far as emergency egress plans, seatbelt and shoulder harness usage, and flightdeck door procedures.
Have fun!

Slemers

Don't be afraid to ask questions - especially if you have never used an O2 mask before.

Also use your copy of the flt plan to see how accurate it is. ie - check the winds/speed/ temp at several points and fuel remaining.

This allows you to see how accurate your flight planning software really is.

One thing to look for is the workload of the flight crew and look at the amount of paperwork.

Sometimes Flight Control may shotgun us a crapload of information and we spend inordinate amounts of time digging through NOTAMS that are non-sequitur to the flight and then important things get buried.

A better idea, just sit back and enjoy the flight! Plenty of time to critque the pilots 10 foot deviation on altitude if you decide to pursue it. Have fun!

Hey...fam ride was AWESOME! I was like a kid in a candy store and realized how much I miss flying! I asked loads of questions and learned a ton. Thanks for the input everyone!

Exactly! Did walk around and shop a bit tho... What a great learning experience for me, as well as a fun one!

Exactly! Did walk around and shop a bit tho... What a great learning experience for me, as well as a fun one!

Sounds great! You got a hell of a return on your investment. I always steer new aviation people to dispatch. Not that its easy but its only 6 weeks of your life. Its the best return on investment of any airmen certificate out there. Not like an A@P which is the worst.

Back