NTSB Probable Cause of Reno Air Race Crash

So it's what we saw in the video; the trim tab broke off and the aircraft shot upwards. They have a lot of detail in there, I have no idea how they would trace it all back to loose locknuts.

So it's what we saw in the video; the trim tab broke off and the aircraft shot upwards. They have a lot of detail in there, I have no idea how they would trace it all back to loose locknuts.
The trim tab separates AFTER the roll upset and the 17g pull up. From the way I read it the trim tab was fluttering and its assosiated controls failed internally possibly causing the hard pull that incapacitated the pilot within a second. It was all over by the time the tab finally separated the airframe. At least that's the way it reads to me. Other things I've read from the NTSB seem to indicate the roll upset started the whole chain going and they weren't sure what caused the roll. A gust of wind, wake turbulence etc.

I would assume they looked at the ones still on the plane? It sounded like the changes with the same locknuts were in more than one location.

Looks like the races are going to be a lot more 'toned down' as the racers are going to be under a lot more oversight and steps in the process to get one of these racers in the air.

So the races were able to secure the necessary insurance?

Back