Young CFI/Freelance tips

At the moment, I'm 18 and got my CFI about a month and a half ago. I've put my resume in at both the local airports offering flight instruction and one said I'm just too young to be a competent CFI. The other has about seven guys in line ahead of me.

I want to atleast use this cert. a little bit if there's any possible way. I had some business cards made up, and I network all I possibly can. What are some of ways I could try and get my name out there? Maybe for BFRs or something.

Thanks,
Andrew

If I ever get around to doing mine, my plan is to freelance BFRs and IPCs.

As a side note, I'd just write off that first school. If they're going to reject you based on just age alone, odds are the rest of their operation is pretty ridiculous too.

At the moment, I'm 18 and got my CFI about a month and a half ago. I've put my resume in at both the local airports offering flight instruction and one said I'm just too young to be a competent CFI. The other has about seven guys in line ahead of me.

I want to atleast use this cert. a little bit if there's any possible way. I had some business cards made up, and I network all I possibly can. What are some of ways I could try and get my name out there? Maybe for BFRs or something.

Thanks,
Andrew

It's against Equal Opportunity laws in the US to deny you ago job based on your age. If you want to have some fun, contact your state's department of labor and give them the details. That employer will change their policies real fast.

Buy a plane and offer to teach a ground school at the local community college. Read everything Rframe has posted about free lancing. It's not easy but it's doable. I did it and that's how I got started in the biz. Best if you pick somewhere that has good weather year round. You can create your own demand. Oh yeah, read all the stuff jrh put out about being a good CFI.

I started out freelancing when I was 21, its not easy, but theres a lot more potential. Skip the big name guys and go around the po-dunk air ports and see if they need an instructor.

A good idea is NOT to go to your states employment office over being denied a job because you're 18. I can guarantee you all you'll do is make an ass out of yourself. There are a million other reason they can come up with to not hire you besides your age. If you want to stick it to them, start up in the same vicinity and start taking business from them.

Thanks,
Andrew

Have you thought about moving elsewhere, or are you set strictly on instructing in your locality? Surely there are jobs somewhere out there, but you may just have to move to find them unless you have something at wherever you're at tying you down.

Become an FAA Safety Team Representative. Then put together some good safety seminars. It will be an excellent networking opportunity and people who attend your seminars and like your style will seek you out as an instructor. There are a lot of opportunities there and the possibilities are only limited by your time and imagination if you have good instructor skills.

It's against Equal Opportunity laws in the US to deny you ago job based on your age. If you want to have some fun, contact your state's department of labor and give them the details. That employer will change their policies real fast.

The 1967 age discrimination act applies if your over 40 and the employer has 20 or more employees. It's designed to keep older workers from being discriminated against, not younger workers.

The ADEA permits employers to favor older workers based on age even when doing so adversely affects a younger worker who is 40 or older.

Oh yeah, read all the stuff jrh put out about being a good CFI.

Oh my, that's quite the compliment! I'm actually feeling rusty, getting back in to the game after a year of wasting away my skills as an airline piluht. ;)

But seriously, Ayork, I'd be happy to help out any way I can with advice. I've been doing it for several years and found a way to be successful. PM or give me a call any time.

Also, are you willing/interested in commuting out of Omaha? I think there's a group of independent CFIs in Lincoln who share a couple airplanes, if you're willing to drive to Lincoln. You could probably get listed on their insurance. Personally, I always thought their operation was a mess, but the fact is, it's a place to start. It's access to an aircraft, which is oftentimes the biggest hurdle for independent CFIs. After getting a few hundred hours as an independent CFI, it would be much easier to get hired at a flight school and taken more seriously.

I understand that I'm 18, and with this young of an age I know I will have to prove my self to others. The fact is, it's looking extremely difficult to even get off the ground with this because no one is willing to even give me a shot.

As for moving away, I'm n Omaha for college with a fantastic scholarship that covers all of my schooling. The university here sends flight students to both of the FBOs I sent my resume in to so that's not going to help me much. If it wasn't for college, I would have no reason to stay here and would be completely willing to uproot and go pursue a job elsewhere.

Check with dropzones as well, another good place to get a job with 250TT

I offered a discount for active or retired military students, I only meant to reward the service they have done for our country. I never thought it would drum up as much business as it did. Apparently a handshake and a "Thank You" leads to great word of mouth.

I wouldn't give up on the FBO that said you are too young, you can prove them wrong.

The fact is, it's looking extremely difficult to even get off the ground with this because no one is willing to even give me a shot.

As for moving away, I'm n Omaha for college with a fantastic scholarship that covers all of my schooling. The university here sends flight students to both of the FBOs I sent my resume in to so that's not going to help me much.

Getting off the ground with any job in any industry is universally difficult. It's sort of the way life works.

Have you checked in to the flying club at Offutt AFB? I don't know anything about them, but there might be some opportunities there. What's happening at North Omaha, and Blair? I know Blair has a very active glider club. Can you make something happen there?

How about flying jumpers for LSPC in Weeping Water? I've heard rumors of them having a hard time staffing pilots. Obviously it's not a teaching job, but it might be good for networking. It would also boost your total time and give you more credibility as a professional pilot when you start teaching.

A big part of freelance instructing is knowing how to hussle. The way you're talking, it sort of sounds like you applied to two flight schools, got turned down, and now you're giving up. If you want to focus on school, nothing wrong with that. But if you want to also fly, you need to be more determined.

Does the Civil Air Patrol count?
Yes, but that pretty much requires joining. Anything that helps in the networking and the opportunity to meet people you would not otherwise meet is good. However, Civil Air Patrol comes along with its own unique set of problems. Depending on the squadron you join, it can be somewhere between a long time and a very long time to become actively involved in the flying.

Become known any which way you can around the local airports, join the local EAA, join the local flying clubs, participate in FAAST, fly with CAP, join the airport association, volunteer to serve coffee at the next fly in, etc.

If you can find a curriculum you like, try to advertise a ground school class package deal, like $250 for class and books, and add an intro flight at cost for people who complete the class as a carrot/reward to increase your retention/success rate. You position yourself as an aviation expert and teacher to a group of students who have a strong interest and inclination to start flight training and it will help you develop your teaching skills.

The hard thing about being independent is you simply need to have access to an airplane. If someone calls you about doing an intro flight or starting lessons, you need to be able to schedule them right then while the interest is high. Get them on the schedule for a flight to occur within the next 48 hours if you can. Make it easy for them to get started. Before you can do that you need to have an arrangement in place to have a plane available and know its schedule and know what it's going to cost you so you can tell your new student exactly what it will cost. Charge them directly for the total amount and then you pay the FBO for the plane.... dont make them pay you, then the plane, then the fuel, etc.... too much of a hassle for a new student. Try to have a pre-set intro flight cost and know how long you'll fly and what that's going to cost you, so if someone asks "what's it cost to start flying", you answer "$90"... bam. It's up to you if you want to do intros at a loss thinking you'll "wow" them into taking lessons, personally I dont recommend it and I just harge them a fair price for .75-1.0 of dual, to set normal expectations. Dont undervalue yourself or undercut other people significantly (it's fine to charge a hair less if you're just getting started, you're frankly not "worth" as much, but dont offer $10/hour lessons if the standard rate is $40/hour where you are) you'll look like a fool to intelligent customers and other instructors.

Talk to FBO's and flying clubs and see what it would take to be able to instruct your own students in their planes. Because you're bringing in rental they might be cool with it and will add you as an authorized CFI on their insurance, but make sure you check first. Dont just show up planning to rent their plane for your students without their authorization or you're voiding their insurance and rental agreement.

Talk to FBO's and flying clubs and see what it would take to be able to instruct your own students in their planes. Because you're bringing in rental they might be cool with it and will add you as an authorized CFI on their insurance, but make sure you check first. Dont just show up planning to rent their plane for your students without their authorization or you're voiding their insurance and rental agreement.

If they know you, and you are bringing in your own students, they'll be pretty open to working with you. Especially if you make it easy for them :)

Back